June Newbie Song project --- Irish Washerwoman

1. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Continuing the celtic trend for one more month. July will not be celtic I promise.
    Besides this is one we all need to learn.
  2. Don Milton
    Don Milton
    Kevin, I'm going to look for tabs on it tonight. Don
  3. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    here is a tabledit file http://mandozine.com/music/tabledit_...an1-G-Trad.tef there is also one in the mandolin cafe tabledit library.
  4. Mr5150
    Mr5150
    Ha! Been on that song for a week. Fairly easy. My teacher gave me the tabs. Mandolin tab.net
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Also, tabs with note-for-note video lesson here: http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...sh-washerwoman
  6. Don Milton
    Don Milton
    Found it on mando lessons and traditional music library. Think I'm going with the first one. Looks do-able for me. That one B note going to take some practice.

Don
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I'm going to have to cheat a bit, since I already recorded this one a couple months ago. I still play it, but not much better than I play it here. I'll put up an end-of-the-month up-to-date version as well.

8. Don Milton
    Don Milton
    Mark, you make using your pinky look easy. My pinky just won't bend to much. I haven't been able to use it much. I'm already practicing Irish Washerwoman. I just don't know about the pinky. I'm also practicing Fishers Hornpipe. I really like it.

Don
  9. Jes Woodland
    Jes Woodland
    Good Job Mark! I`ve been having a go at this one using the TEFview file from Mandozine mentioned above.I`ve slowed it down to half speed to memorize it,which I have,now I need to tidy it up then speed it up,altho I doubt I will play much faster.
    I`ll attempt to put up a clip of my offering later on in the month....I`ve never done that before so might be asking daft questions about posting videos in a few weeks.
    This tune was one of the first I learnt the chords for on my 3/4 size guitar,aged 6,with my dad playing the melody,so it`s a nice one to revisit.

Jes
  10. Don Milton
    Don Milton
    Well, I thought this post would be the one to say how well I am doing on The Irish Washerwoman. I have the A part in memory and thought I been doing good, except for my pick strokes. Still mostly down strokes. But today, not only that tune but all my practicing, I just kept missing the strings. Finally I hung it up and hopefully tonight will be better. I don't think I messed up like this since first week or so I started playing the mandolin.

Don
  11. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Don't let it worry you, Don, we all have "off" days and even "off" seasons when the music just seems unreachable. Truth is, if you continue to reach for it, eventually you'll surprise yourself at how things come together. It's great fun when they do. Expect growth spurts, plateaus and fumbles all along the way.
  12. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    and when it just isn't working, put it down, the worst thing to do is keep reinforcing the error.
  13. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Jeez , I just added 5 new or improved versions of songs to my list. This wasn't one of them. But as the man said "I'm with you fellers ". Have a version in Ray Valla's bluegrass book I will start working with. I'll get back to the group and let you know what I learned.
  14. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Ok I looked at this song today while sitting at the shipper. Worked on first half of song. I like the roll or bounce of this.
  15. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Question for you all about Irish Washer Woman. I wonder how you are picking this song. Are you picking DUDUDU or DUDDUD ? 1st style is easier to pick however, 2nd style gives the song a fun bounce. 2nd question is are you using a metronome and if so what range of settings ?
  16. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    DUDDUD is pretty much a must do for this song. To me, The Irish Washerwoman is the quintessential Irish jig. The DUDDUD pattern allows you to stress the correct notes.

There may be many ways to play this tune, but I would advise using that pattern. If you play many Irish jigs in your future, learning that pattern will be an important investment of your time and you'll be glad you took the time to do it.
  17. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    DUDDUD to the best of my ability except when I forget as far as the range of my metronome, on a good day I can throw it clear across the room :P
  18. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    I'm working on this tune,... as I have been for several months. The problem is it sounds better when played fast. I use the DUD,DUD on jigs. When learning a new tune I'm at 50 bpm, (that is one click for each DUD). On jigs I know well I'm up to 70 bpm. Still not session speed but getting better. I'll record and post next week.
  19. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Kevin, made me laugh. I can throw it out the window of my truck. As for the pick pattern I like DUDDUD at lot more. Not sure how many jigs I am going to learn but........ My BG book with this song in it shows DUDUDU. The tab I downloaded doesn't show pick direction. I saw the triplets and said to myself hmm. Jeez, I just might be learning to play this thing. Thanks guys.
  20. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    DUDDUD for me too. There are folks who can get the bouncy jiggy feel going with DUDUDU. I think the DUDDUD is "preferred" (whatever that means). But as somebody famous (Count Basey?) once said "If it sounds good, it IS good."
  21. Radish
    Radish
    Just had my first look at this one last night - haven't been able to get the practice in recently and I thought this was a good one to restart myself. Kinda surprised to find I remember this as a radio jingle for something (back in the '70's in the Netherlands). Anyway, very slow start, trying to get my fingers to go where they need to go to begin with. But it was fun trying! Will keep it up and see if I can pick up on the July tune as well. Might eventually be brave enough to try and create a video. :o)
  22. Tommcgtx
    Tommcgtx
    Here's my shot at this one:

23. Sleet
    Sleet
    Sounds great, Tom. You make it look easy!
  24. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Beautiful playing, Tom!
  25. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    I'm in awe.
  26. Tommcgtx
    Tommcgtx
    Thanks, you guys are way too kind. I actually struggled to get a good take, and even that isn't without it's flubs, etc.
  27. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    That was quite good.
  28. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Tom, sounds good. Way better than I am able to do. BJ , I need to say thanks for the tip on using metronome. 50 beats is good plus you give the crucial part '1 per each DUD'. I found a second version of the song in an Irish mandolin book by Doc Rossi. Closer to the online tab that all of you are probably using. Since I spend months on the road online access is severely limited unless I can get a wifi hot spot. Books are still my primary source. Good thing I love to read. Okay, I am going to work on the song for a bit now. Spent 4 hours earlier today doing work on quality of speed with my Washburn. So tonight the Eastman gets some love.
  29. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Recorded this on July 4, 2016; hence the hat. Have tried to do a better job but my fingers keep tripping all over each other at some point in the B part. This take is the least bad of the takes I have made so far.

I know what the problem is - I am still thinking about how to make the notes that make up the tune. If I can ever get to the point of just making the tune without worrying about the notes I will have made a giant step. Sort of like speaking a second language - when you can stop thinking about vocabulary words, tenses, person, gender, etc, for each word as you speak and just blurt it out, then you can become fluent.

Anyway, this came from mandozine.com. It was in A minor but I thought it sounded darker and more 'minor' when I shifted it down a string to D minor. The B part also became a touch easier. I was attracted to it because it is 'different'.

30. Sleet
    Sleet
    I like the key change, Hank. Everyone "knows" what Irish Washerwoman sounds like, but shifting it gives it a different flavor. Good job.
  31. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Well done Hank. It's cool you chose a minor version. You're getting a great sound there, love it.
  32. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Hank nice job love the minor key. Oh and You have a lot of mandos
  33. lex
    lex
    Whoa! That is a lovely mandolin. Nice job, Hank! Seemed pretty clean to me and had a nice bounce throughout.
  34. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks folks. Let's see if I can do any better with Soldiers Joy. At least I have a head start.