Week #370 ~ Pigeon on the Gate

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Pigeon on the Gate, which is a reel. It seems to be a tune that begs to be played in a medley!

Here is the link to sixteen settings of this tune on thesession.org

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's a great version of it as well:

3. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Here's a rough-and-ready version, played on a Sobell and paired with "The Gooseberry Bush."

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I did this 5 years ago as a sequel to Salamanca:

5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's my go of it, still getting it up to speed. Elderly corgi mix makes an unexpected guest appearance in the lower right hand corner....

6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played Jill. About how long does it take you to get a tune up to performance level?
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing, Jill. Corgi not a distraction in any way.
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for the kind words! I started learning this one a few days before the winner was announced since it was looking like it might be the tune chosen. It usually takes me a couple of days to completely memorize the tune without needing to listen to a recorded version or follow ABC's. Once it's memorized that frees me up to think about variations and ornaments. For the craic I thought I'd try to film the jig "Contentment is Wealth" the same day I filmed this but as I'd only learnt it the night before it was not successful! I'll have another go of that one in a few days time.
  9. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Lovely combination of instruments again Bob.
    Good combination of tunes Bertram.
    Brilliant as ever Jill. Fluid effortless triplets - playing to aspire to.
    Here's my version on the Capek Tenor and Tom Buchanan Bouzouki. I met Mr Capek the other week - he was over in the UK giving a talk about his instrument building. Very insightful and entertaining, even though most of it was done through a translator - who happened to be his wife.

10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one James! Love the sound of the banjo and bouzouki together!
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That instrumentation makes me feel home and dry, James (the banjo contributing the "dry" part)

Re: triplets - comparison of Jill's and James's right hands has me thinking. Both seem to rest their wrists on the instrument, more or less, but every triplet tries to shake the wrist loose and move the forearm as well. The wrist seems to fulfill the function of a spring between forearm and hand, and for faster motion that spring must be harder. This means that "resting" the wrist is an illusion, because the wrist is never really at rest, and especially triplets are short moments of increased tension and may be easier to do when the idea of resting the wrist is abandoned altogether. Yeah, I know, many banjo players rest their wrists, and some very firmly, and triplet all over the place nonetheless, but then they triplet with their fingers only (a tiny motion which I did, too, back in my banjo times but found it did not translate well to the courses of mandolin and OM).
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Not quite sure what you're getting at with this, but I just picked my mandolin up and ran through a tune and my wrist doesn't make contact with the mandolin when playing.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing and I too like the combination of the tenor and bouzouki, James.
  14. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I think I get what you are saying Bertram - the resting is an illusion. The hypothenar part of my hand brushes the bridge, or the strings behind the bridge, a la Mike Marshall which is not surprising as I am a disciple of his. A few years ago he picked up on the gap between my index finger and middle finger as a sign of right hand tension and he what absolutely right. Things have improved since then but I still have a way to go. The only time I have a really relaxed right hand is in a pub session after about 3 pints but clearly that's not a long term everyday solution!
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    in a pub session after about 3 pints

The right attitude is supposed to work on the subconcious, of course, and the 3 pints are one way to move it there, but they also prove that it is possible to reach at all, and there will be other ways less intoxicating.
  16. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    3+ pints would certainly make me feel relaxed too. But they would not be very conducive to speed demonic playing

Nice playing everyone
  17. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    Jill, that was convincing enough to make me want to learn this melody! I'm also a big fan of the paddlehead Gibsons!

f-d

p.s., I know a woman named Scott. You are the first guy I know named Jill.
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Glad you liked the video.
    P.S I'm not a guy.
  19. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    oops. Sorry. Did like your playing!

f-d
  20. JL277z
    JL277z
    Jill wrote: "P.S I'm not a guy."

Lol yeah me neither. My internet name and videos intentionally don't establish that fact, as it reduces the number of freaky comments from 15-year-old YouTube guys (and some older guys too) who sometimes get weird ideas about female musicians.

But as far as *names*, in my case it wouldn't be any more clear even if I used my real name online, as I was named after both my great-grandma *and* my dad who both had the same name. No, not Chris or Pat, nor Sue.

Oh, and by the way! Everyone, nice pickin' on this tune!
  21. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    A version of Pigeon on the Gate done on my Black A-2 mandolin this evening before I head to bed.

https://soundcloud.com/nic-gellie/pi...k-social-group

I couldn't help myself to have a crack at it as I have been recording quite a few tunes this evening.
  22. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Nick - hope that Black A-2 is treating you well!
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Triplicintillatingly intricate beauty of sound, Nick. Very elaborate.

btw I'm a guy, should anybody wonder. In my computer job I have learned not to make assumptions about gender until I've seen a medical certificate; meanwhile, I base my vocabulary on what worked for others (or not) who bravely went out on a limb before me
  24. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Hi Jill. Yes my Black A2 is working well for me. I used a different pick in making the recordings. It made a real difference in getting the right tone and action.

Bertram, I have been working on this triplets and in in some tunes I do I use quadruplets to good effect. I play the fiddle as well and am used to playing grace notes and rolls as well.

Thanks both of you for the compliments. Now to post a recording of the Salamanca reel.
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a fine bit of playing, Nick.
  26. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Thanks John, I have been working on my Irish reels of late. I have Kevin Burke's CDs to work from on tunes like this one.