Week #365 ~ West Virginia Girls

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is West Virginia Girls, which was submitted as a Modal Tune.

I'm coming up short with this one, so if any of you know this tune (someone suggested it, so maybe they will help!), I'd appreciate it!

I found this in the Library of Congress.

Here's some history of the song.

Here's another, of the same song, but called West Virginia Gals

I can find this You Tube Video of a song called West Virginia Girls....

2. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    There are different versions, some with two parts, some with three. Here's a nice clawhammer setting:

And here are Alan Jabbour and Ken Perlman cranking it out:

I also associate the tune with the song "Corn Bread, Molasses and Sassafras Tea":

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  3. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    I had a go at it the other day, on mandolin (Gibson A4) and clawhammer banjo (1930 Vega Little Wonder pot with a Wyatt Fawley neck):

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  4. luurtie
    luurtie
    Well done Bob. I didn't know what to do with this melody, your version gave me some inspiration. It's a good tune to practise mandolin skills an train that pinky

Here's my version..

5. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Luurtie, I really like the nice pop you get out of the tune, and the variations you play are all the more effective for being so matter-of-fact and understated. Well done in turn!

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Has anyone found abc or notation other than the hand written one I found in the Library of Congress?
  7. luurtie
    luurtie
    I wrote down the chords from the version of the Scandinavian Seppo Sillanpää
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVTa-pbl9g

Part A : 4/4 I A I A G I A I A G I A I A G I Am I G I Am I G Am II
    Part B I Am I Am I G I G I Am I Am I Am I G Am II

There's also some "Gif" Sheet music on Banjohangout
    http://www.hangoutstorage.com/banjoh...1726112010.gif
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is a version in standard notation and mandolin tab, with chords:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...ginia_gals.htm

Another one on page 44 of this (very good!) tunebook:

http://nipsmusic.net/tunes/Bernies_Tune_Book.pdf

Martin
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I am working out some abc, and I notice that in luurtie's version (which is from the one he linked to the video) the "A" part has 10 measures instead of eight. I listened to some of the other videos, and they just have 8 measures for the A part. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of a 'crooked' tune... which I like the sound of! I'll post both abc's..... Mind you, this is MY interpretation... open to discussion! I realize this isn't in the key of G (like I have in my abc), but I'm not up on my different modal desginations, and what you would write in the ABC so there was one sharp like in the notation I found, so I went with that!

X: 1
    T: West Virginia Gals (crooked)
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: G
    |:edeg abag|edef g2d2|edeg abag|edef g4|
    edeg abag|edef g2d2|eged cBAc|BAG2g2d2|eged cBAc|BAG2 A4:|
    |:A,2A,2 C2EG|A2AB c4|G2G2 B2B2 |d2d2 g4|
    A,2A,2 C2EG|A2AB c2d2|e2ae gfed |cABG A4:|

X: 1
    T: West Virginia Gals (straight)
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: G
    |:edeg abag|edef g2d2|edeg abag|edef g4|
    edeg abag|edef g2d2|eged cBAc|BAG2 A4:|
    |:A,2A,2 C2EG|A2AB c4|G2G2 B2B2 |d2d2 g4|
    A,2A,2 C2EG|A2AB c2d2|e2ae gfed |cABG A4:|
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I did some more research on modes, and this tune is in A Dorian.... FYI!
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Some musicians think of an A Dorian mode as a scale which is isolated unto itself... while others swear up and down it's just a G major scale only instead of starting on the G and going up to G again (G,A,B,C,D,E, F#, G which is a major scale), you play the notes of the G scale but start on A and go up to A (A, B, C, D, E, F#, G, A which is a minor sounding scale). Whatever floats your boat. It's the melody that counts the most to me and not a scale from bottom to top. But it is nice to know what notes you can choose from when trying to figure out the tune. I don't think the old timers really paid much attention to music notation anyway, however to notate it in abc or music notation the easiest remedy is to put the key signature on G and go from there to arrive at a A Dorian mode like Barbara. And thanks for that too!
  12. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Bob, nice picking. Hendrik, great swing and I love your B part slides and ornaments. Here's my go. I like a nice modal tune. I used some fairly blurry pics off the Library of Congress site for a video.

13. luurtie
    luurtie
    Your version has that wonderful oldtime atmosphere. I love that Bob. Good stuff!
  14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I love modal tunes and this is a fun one. It's played here on a clawhammer banjo, mandolin and backed up on guitar. These old tunes are a challenge to accompany with guitar because neither the mandolin or banjo are actually playing any real chords... just fragments if anything really. So I kept my backup along those lines too!

15. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Michael, very nice!! The mando and banjo really work well together.