Week #364 ~ Durang's Hornpipe

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Durang's Hornpipe, which has been the second place choice for several weeks now! I love hornpipes!

This tune has been an "Other Tune' here in our group, here's the link to that discussion!

Here's a link to an interesting story of this tune.

An even longer story from Wikipedia

Here are links to notation:

http://www.8notes.com/scores/7592.asp

abcnotation.com

The tune on thesession.org

Here are some videos (starting with our own luurtie!)

2. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Here's a leisurely, swingy take on the tune, played on a Gibson A4 and a Weltmeister melodeon/"Cajun" accordion in D.

I've been playing around with split-screen videos for the past few days, having finally learned that trick.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  3. JL277z
    JL277z
    luurtie, good pickin', and great hammers and ornaments!

Bob, wow, I love that great toe-tapping rhythm, great dance music. Good to see the video split-screen too, nicely done!
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Luurtie.... do you have notation for what you are playing? I love it!
  5. luurtie
    luurtie
    I'm sorry Barbara, I don't. I slowed down the version Adam Steffey played and reproduced it in some way. I love the way he playes, but I can hardly recognise the original tune in it.
    For the fingering you can watch him play it in this "Cookeshack" video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY22GAp_bdk
    I hope it wil help you a little.
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Nicely played Bob and clever video technique too. Like you I have played the tune once as a hornpipe but then added another section as a reel like Hendrick.
  7. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, JL277z and maudlin! Maudlin, your version is a great illustration of the difference between the two rhythms. I like it both ways.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Luurtie it was a pleasure to watch your video last year and so it is again.
    Bob that sounds danceable (I never dance myself) and I like to watch the wide range of squeezeboxes you play on. The split-screen technic makes it easy to follow both instruments.
    Maudlin great picking and fast!
    The more I listen to all your videos and try to play the different versions, the more I like this hornpipe.

BTW, it seems to be much easier on fiddle. And really foot tapping: