Week #361 ~ Winder Slide

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Winder Slide. From what I've found, it's a tune composed by Joe LaRose, but also attributed to Rayna Gellert, who recorded it.

I found this notation...
  2. luurtie
    luurtie
    I found some notation for this tune...
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...nder_slide.png
  3. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Here's a version I worked up this morning. I follow Rayna Gellert's setting, which has a longer B part than, say, Bruce Molsky's. According to some commentators on the Fiddle Forum site, LaRose composed both variants.

The one-man back-up band consists of banjo, melodeon, guitar and bass.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That's wonderful, Bob -- both the timing and the ornamentation are really good and suit the tune. I'm still trying to get my head around the timing. Both the appeal and the difficulty with the tune are in the vagueness of the pulse which gives it the feeling of meandering pleasantly but aimlessly around the fretboard. The trick is to make it hang together nevertheless and you master that perfectly.

Not sure whether I get my own recording down this week, but I'm working on it. Thanks to Luurtie for posting the transcription. One source of confusion is that it says "slide" in the title, but it's in 4/4 instead of the 6/8 of an Irish slide.

Martin
  5. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    That's kind of you, Martin; thanks.

I do like a good crooked tune, and this one is first-rate. I had to sit down and play along with several different recordings before it started to feel natural. It was hard to choose between the two B parts, but to my ear the (apparently later) Gellert version has a slight edge.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  6. luurtie
    luurtie
    Simple tunes are the difficult ones. This is a very good example of a simple difficult tune. It's a fun tune to noodle around with. Surprised by the beautiful version of Bob Michel I realised I have a complete other approach to play is. I used the youtube version played by Joe Walsh.. My compliments to you Bob!

7. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Bob and Hendrik, very well done. Great playing and accompaniment. Bob, your one man band really hangs in there well together and Hendrik you have that wonderful smooth improvisation going as usual. I have a shuffle timing going alright but can't get a backing to fit it so I'm a bit stymied right now.
  8. UpSouth
    UpSouth
    Here is my version in key of C. Influenced by version I found online by guitarist Scott Ainslie. Also really enjoyed Joe Walsh's version, and luurtie's wonderful take on it above. Inspiring!

9. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Upsouth - nice picking and take on the tune.

Like Martin and Hendrik state, simple little tune but the timing gets to be a bit of a challenge. I think I got the timing down for the melody but I could never find a backing to lay behind it. A straight out rhythm backing just ruins the timing in the melody...

So here's my go on just mandolin and fiddle:

10. Al Trujillo
    Al Trujillo
    Luurtie....you are my new hero!