Week #360 ~ Mulqueen's Reel

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Mulqueen's Reel. According to The Session, this tune is also known as Charlie Harris’, Charlie Harris’s, Free And Easy, Kerry Lasses, Moneen, Mulqueeny’s, Spindle Shanks, The Spindle’s Shank, The United.

Here's a link to seven settings of this tune on thesession.org

Here's a link to this tune, with audio, abc and standard notation on slowplayers.org

Many of the videos I find, has this tune included in a medley....

2. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Happy to pounce on this one; I'd gone ahead and recorded it some weeks back, when it looked like a likely poll winner.

I don't think I've heard these three played as a set before, but they seem to go together well.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played by all!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's a grand version there, Bob - the whistle makes it sound like a whole session going on.

This is a rerun of a video I posted in an "Other" tune discussion, Mulqueen's is the second in the set:

5. jonny250
    jonny250
    i found this tab, in case it helps: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ir.../mulqueens.htm
  6. Francis J
    Francis J
    Here's my version of Mulqueen's Reel
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Bouncy character well captured, Francis! Immaculate timing again.
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely pulse there Francis, well done sir!
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Late getting this one in, but managed to record it in one take today!

10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Final proof that the ole Jill is back, yeehaw!
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    And a second yeehaw! from me, lovely ornaments and fearless precision.
  12. Francis J
    Francis J
    Make that 3 in a row. Great stuff Jill.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers lads, you're too kind!
  14. JL277z
    JL277z
    Great pickin', everyone! I love the rhythmic possibilities in this tune, good cheerful dance tune that makes people want to tap their feet and be happy, the playing I've heard here in this thread brings out that good vibe really nicely.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The fabulous renditions above helped me a lot to get this lovely tune almost fluent.

My submission is a first take on this day. Of course after
    - Ten days of hard work.
    - Playing other tunes which I like for half an hour as kind of a warm up.
    - Listening to Bob and Jill (No offense meant to Francis who plays another B-part and Bertram and Regina who play a nice but completely other tune then I decided to learn)

Obviously there is a little delay somewhere and it isn’t in session speed. No problem for me because I never attend a session.
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one! You're getting lovely tone as well and I'll always take great tone at a slower speed over poor tone played fast!
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I still work on this tune to make it more fluently when playing by heart.
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Frithjof said: Bertram and Regina who play a nice but completely other tune - you are aware that Mulqueen's is included in the set? (second one)
    Not a good basis to learn from, I admit, but complete.
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Please forgive me, maestro. Obviously I was confused and hadn’t recognized your performance as a set.
    Would it be the right punishment if I try and learn your version on my bouzouki?
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Doling out punishments is exactly my purpose in life...
  21. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Took a lot of practice to get this one up to speed so well done to everyone who managed it on time especially Frithjof as I have done the same version
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for the compliment, Maudlin. Would have answered earlier but couldn’t effort the time. Need all my spare time for the task on my bouzouki and for the new SAW.
  23. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    just catching up on my backlog of tunes to learn, i do like single reels,i enjoyed this one

24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff, sits nicely on the octave so it does!