Week #358 ~ Little Pine Siskin

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That transcription posted by Bill Bradshaw is most useful! I hadn't heard this tune before, but it's very nice and falls under the fingers well. Here's my recording, on my Ajr:

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  3. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    That's a sweet setting of the tune, Martin; well done. And the pictures are terrific.

Here's what I was able to come up with this morning. 'Tain't bluegrass, exactly...

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  4. UpSouth
    UpSouth
    Hi. I'm a new member of the group and have posted an MP3 of my imperfect rendition on the Song and Tune Projects forum as I couldn't figure out how to post an MP3 here. Martin, I love your pine siskin images and your and Bob's beautiful versions of this sweet tune. Eric.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Welcome Eric!

The way to embed MP3 uploads here in the social groups is to upload it on the main forum, as you've done, and then put the link here surrounded by "MP3" tags. Your uploaded file then looks like this:

Very nice playing! What mandolin is that?

Martin
  6. UpSouth
    UpSouth
    Thank you, Martin. Not the most intuitive method, so thanks for filling me in! I am playing my Rigel A+ Deluxe, which I like very, very much. (I guess I didn't need to reload it here, but just wanted the practice...)

7. luurtie
    luurtie
    I enjoyed all the versions very much and recorded a version myself. Wel done Martin! It has almost that classical sound you always have, followed by Bob Michel with his wonderful Folk/Bluegrass version. Way to go Eric, you have a good timing and a lovely sounding mandolin!

8. jonny250
    jonny250
    What a lovely tune! i enjoyed all the versions and decided i wanted to have a go at this one on the octave - sound is poor [underwater or something!]
  9. UpSouth
    UpSouth
    'Tis indeed a sweet tune. I like all of the versions! Would love, someday, to be able to take a break like John Reischman on the Sweet Lowdown video.
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Well done everyone. Martin, your baroque bluegrass sounds good. Bob, nice arrangement and the the improvisation was spot on. Eric, nice pickin and welcome to the group, I don't think I've seen you post before. Luurtie, as smooth and clean as ever. Very nice style. Johnny, sounds good on the octave but as you say a little underwater. Must have picked up a wave on one of your hiking trips at the beach...

Here's my go:

11. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Well done everyone. Martin, your baroque bluegrass sounds good. Bob, nice arrangement and the the improvisation was spot on. Eric, nice pickin and welcome to the group, I don't think I've seen you post before. Luurtie, as smooth and clean as ever. Very nice style. Johnny, sounds good on the octave but as you say a little underwater. Must have picked up a wave on one of your hiking trips at the beach...

Here's my go:

12. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I have one of the world's worst internet connections and Mandolin Cafe seems to have server problems - sorry for the double post, I can't even edit it out...
  13. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Fine playing, everyone! Great to hear this tune being played so well with many different interpretations and instrumentation. My version is up in Barbara's first post--that's me playing the Phoenix Neoclassical.
  14. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yes, very nice playing everyone.
    It has been fun to play along with you, Don.

Keeping up with Hendrik has been challenging, though, as always
    My posting is impending ...
  15. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    So here we go:

16. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow Manfred, that was a nice clean playing style. It's always hard keeping up with the clean quality playing of Manfred Hacker!
    It really sounds awesome... I would'nt forget Jonny and Bob.. I enjoyed your versions too! Slower version are often just as nice and I love your underwater soundeffect Jonny.. you are a musical scuba diver I quess? Be careful with your instrument, the water might damage your beautiful Weber..
  17. trev
    trev
    Congratulations again everybody, the standard is very high every week, so I'm doing my best to lower the average!

Sorry it's a bit late this week, I've had a hectic time with one thing and another. I managed to get my wife to play the chords on her guitar this week, I've done two versions this week, both using the same recorded chords, the first on my Weber Bitterroot F Style, the second on my brand new (only got it last Wednesday, so be kind with the misfingerings please!) custom Weber Bitterroot A style F hole 22" Octave mandolin, with Maple back and sides, and free colour upgrade to Rawhide burst - looks great!

https://soundcloud.com/user-229482687/siskin-mandwav

https://soundcloud.com/user-229482687/siskin-octwav

Cheers, Trev
  18. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice, clean playing, Trev. Way to go.
  19. trev
    trev
    Thanks Manfred, I enjoyed your version very much, I hope to to get my head around double stops and things instead of just playing the straight melody as I progress. I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to record a song a week, though sometimes it's tricky to get the time to learn a tune to recording standard in a week.
  20. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great videos as usual! My favourite is Luurtie's - such a relaxed vibe and effortless brilliance, as always.