Week #356 Michael Turner's Waltz

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Looks like this week's winner is a tune called Michael Turner's Waltz. It was composed by Mozart in 1788.

You can find several versions in ABC notation, a history of the tune and some helpful discussion over on thesession.org...
    https://thesession.org/tunes/7077

Here's another site with tab and standard notation...
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/se...ners_waltz.htm
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's one with lots of mandolins from Martin Jonas.

Some familiar faces...

3. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Once again I anticipated the week's likely choice. I had a lot of fun arranging and recording this one.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The tune is so suited to the mandolin, Bob, and you have produced a beautiful rendering of it here. The introduction of the whistle is very well done.
  5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Superb arrangement, lovely tone from the mandolin and when the whistle and box kick in it transforms into an Irish tune. Studio quality - you could release this on a CD - Irishing up tunes from around the world (I'll take 10% for giving you the idea!).
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great playing and arrangement, Bob!

My own recording from a couple of years ago has already been posted above -- it's the first video in Michael's posting. Arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, using Mozart's original second violin part. We play this arrangement quite frequently with our group.

I have since come across another quite different arrangement, and may record that one this week for contrast.

Martin
  7. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks to John, James and Martin. Martin, I hadn't listened to those previously posted versions until now, but yours is really lovely. Very Mozartian.

James, is "Irishing up" akin to "getting one's Irish up"? I ask because I actually kept my temper admirably while making that video. Which is not always the case when I'm recording.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Further to my old recording as reposted by Michael, I have now recorded the tune again in a quite different arrangement. This new recording is more stripped-down and more folky, based on a three part setting by Michael Van Der Meiren:

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/...el-turners.pdf

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my version from 2011.

10. JL277z
    JL277z
    (For recent post please scroll down a few screens)

So many beautiful versions above, super nice!

I wrote my own 4-part sheetmusic for the Mozart tune, based on the score at imslp.org/. I've never done this sort of thing before and I have *no* clue what I'm doing, but it's fun anyway.

The pdf I wrote is at MandolinCafe page, I guess that's the right way to do that, can't remember.

I wrote it in MuseScore 2. Here's what it sounds like when MuseScore plays back the notes I wrote, this is pure-computer MIDI tinny-sounding stuff, but you can get a kinda-sorta idea of what the notes are:

(or direct link)

Now, I've been practicing actually playing this tune on real instruments, but I need lots more practice before turning on the recorder.

If anyone else would like to try my 4-part version, that'd be cool, and yeah you can modify anything you want, it's (now) folk music after all.

P.S. I guessed at chord *names*, based on the notes in the old Mozart score. But there's a good possibility I might have got some of them misinterpreted and thus labeled wrong. Suggestions welcome.
  11. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Greetings, I have been off doing band stuff so haven't been posting. Couldn't pass this one by though as our trio used to do it.
    Bob - great arrangement and mix of instruments, I do love a well-blown whistle!! Yes, Irish 'er up lad!
    Martin - very Mozartian as Bob says. You sound like a harpsichord at times.
    David - I was hoping for more bowed bass and you didn't disappoint, and, that new cittern sounds just wonderful!!
    JL277z - that was well done. I use easy abc for such things but it sounds like musescore is the way to go.

As did Martin previously, I used Harper's (Evelyn Tiffany-Castaglioni) score. I took the melody from there, the chords from the traditional site, and made up the rest of it.

12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Bob Michel: lovely interplay of the instruments. When the squeeze box comes in the song is transformed. Very well done.
    Martin: both of your versions are excellent. On the second the harmony mandolin part really makes the song for me.
    David: both of your versions are also excellent... and you've added another winner to your arsenal of instruments. That 5 course bouzouki is a keeper.
    JLZ77z: cool arrangement and hopefully you'll get it worked up to speed and recorded soon.
    Bob: really nice playing and the fiddle is especially striking in your arrangement.
    Just a great week to play the mandolin I'd think...
  13. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great renditions from Bob,Bob David and Martin. JLZ hope to hear yours soon.
    Most of my effort this week went into mastering Will Fly's great guitar arrangement. Had to blow the dust off the 6-string before playing!
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This tune has had a run as an Other Tune. Here is the link to that thread.
  15. trev
    trev
    https://soundcloud.com/user-22948268...rners-waltzwav

Here's my attempt this week, I was hoping to get my wife to play the chords on her guitar but she's been snowed under, so it's had to be chords, melody and harmony all on mandolin instead. There are one or two timing issues, but overall I'm pretty happy with it, given my level at present.

Really impressed with everyone's recordings again, well done all
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Well done Trev. I couldn't hear anything wrong with your timing-it was more together than mine was. Solid mandolin backing too.
  17. trev
    trev
    Thanks for that, maudlin, I enjoyed your rendition, the arrangement sounds a bit more challenging than the one that I chose, but you did a great job of it, the guitar and mandolin fit very well together.
  18. JL277z
    JL277z
    Woodenfingers, Michael, and Maudlin, thanks! I finally tried to record this, I thought I had the video camera on but I didn't, so it's just audio. Super short, just one time through only the "Michael Turner" part of the Mozart tune:

(or direct link)

The sound in the video is three tracks: one mandolin track, plus two GDAEB electric guitar tracks (harmony + 'bass' line).

(The animation picture is shamelessly appropriated from two Windows Media Player "visualizations", I combined the clouds with the waves.)

Edited to add:
    Instrumentation is my usual stuff nowadays: $50 Rogue mandolin, $29 Dean Markley stick-on pickup plugged into a Roland Micro Cube set to "acoustic" (yeah I know, impedance mismatch or something, oh well it's what I have to work with), "Squier by Fender Stratocaster Standard Series" electric guitar tuned in fifths (GDAEB after capo at fifth fret), recorded with Audacity on a cheap HP laptop. I use the electric guitar as a substitute for a tenor guitar, I play it the same way.