Week #352 ~ Old French

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Old French. Whoever suggested it, says it goes well with Snowflake Reel.

Here's what I've found for Old French:

Here's notation from abcnotation.com from John Chambers collection.

Here's what they have on thesession.org, where they say it's also known as Little Old Man, The Little Old Man, Rambler’s Hornpipe, The Rambler’s Hornpipe, The Rambler’s.

Here are some videos:

2. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    I haven't played this for years, but am happy to get reacquainted. Great tune!

Here it is played on a Breedlove Cascade, paired with a D melodeon (one-row button accordion).

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done! Great instrumentation.
  4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Sounds great Bob, lovely tone from the mandolin and it goes really well with the melodeon. Over here in England the DG melodeon is one of the commonest trad instruments and features heavily in Morris dance music and English pub sessions. Incredible volume they get from such a small box and I can't compete on mandolin so it's either tenor banjo or bouzouki for me, but your combination is wonderful. How did you find yourself in the world of a one row melodeon in the USA?
  5. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, Michael and James. James, I've been playing Irish trad on one instrument or another most of my life, and I've been a pretty avid concertinist for the last twenty years or so. One squeezebox leads to another, I suppose. The (single row) melodeon has made a big comeback in Irish music in recent years, in the hands of players like Johnny Connolly, John O'Halloran, Brendan Begley and Paul Brock.

I also love the music of Québec, where the one-row is very popular, and play a bit of it. And of course there's the whole Cajun tradition, which I've dabbled in now and then, though I think I'd need another lifetime to come up to speed in that style of playing. Once in a while I'll even turn my hand to the odd East Anglian tune.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    This tune fits very nicely on a mandolin. I've gotten my arrangement how I like it and memorized and now it's time to work it up to speed. Those Canadian fiddlers really go to town on this one... if I practice at about this speed for about a week and then gradually increase the tempo I might be able to match their tempo... usually takes about a month in all. Anyway, here's what I have so far:

7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great playing, Michael. Your version brings out the hornpipe heritage of this tune.
  8. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Oh, I like that version, Michael. Very nuanced and whimsical. It makes me hear the tune in a new way. Bravo!

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  9. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    A bit of reckless fun. And, yes I do like to play Old French into The Snowflake Reel.

f-d
  10. JL277z
    JL277z
    All very enjoyable versions!