Week #350 ~ The Green Groves of Erin

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Green Groves of Erin, which is an Irish Traditional reel.

Here is a link to the notation from abcnotation.com

Here is another

Here are some videos:

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I learnt my version from Angelina Carberry's excellent recording (though she's tuned up a half step). Anyway this is but a pale imitation of her version, but then again she is the best Irish tenor banjo player in the world.
    I didn't set the camera up for this one and, as I don't have any pictures of Ireland, you will have to settle for photos of the green groves of Northern England.

3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice pictures, nice instruments, and nice recording. Loved your playing too.
  4. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Howdy--

I'm new to this Group--and to Mandolin Café in general, at least as an active member (I've been lurking for years). But since "Green Groves" is sort of in my wheelhouse, I thought I'd chime right in.

http://youtu.be/wsGnsqdqOY4

I added some accompaniment on whistle and concertina.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  5. luurtie
    luurtie
    Very Nice version James. Welkom to our group Bob, a multiintrumentalist playing whistle and concertina too. Great job!
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha

This is Bob Michel's video!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Welcome Bob, now there's a force to reckon with - you've got a whole session going there!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    James and Bob, two really fine versions there! Welcome to the SAW group, Bob - a welcome addition you will certainly be.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Two nice versions, I enjoyed both!
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Right, here's my go of it. Also inspired by Angelina Carberry's version. Opted for the tenor banjo as it seemed to sit better on it compared to the mandolin version I did. I'll listen back to the mandolin one again though and maybe post it as well.

11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks Jill, I was hoping you'd pick this one on a banjo. And it's an awesome job as well.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers Michael, you're too kind! I'm enjoying the other versions posted as well! Nice to hear with added instrumentation - I need to get a decent microphone before I can attempt that meself.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine picking, Jill. Hope you've left somewhere at the back of the banjo for the duck to get enough air!
  14. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great playing Jill - effortless relaxed triplets, somewhat closer to Angelina Carberry than my efforts. I shall learn from your version.
    Release the duck!
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers John & James! The critter inside the banjo is my dog Wilson's sock monkey toy - works a treat to bring the volume down (I have neighbors with a newborn so on me best behavior!). James - I took weekly lessons from Angelina for nearly a year before moving to the States so that helped tremendously with my triplets!
  16. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff jill, if only i could play so relaxed. james has inspired me get my much neglected tenor out of its case, so must have a go at this one.
  17. JL277z
    JL277z
    These are all great versions. I love the rhythm too, good solid dance music, nice to listen to even when not dancing.
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very fresh and encouraging versions all. This one got me all confused about the coexistence of versions in A dorian and A mix on the web and I couldn't decide which I like better, so I did both. I separated Steampacket from its normal setting with Craig's Pipes to have a follow-up here.

19. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Great stuff Bertram -either you have a couple of other players just out of camera shot or you've upgraded your technology to compete with Mr Hansen.
    I did the version in the key of A which is solid eighth notes without a single space for a breather.

20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well Maudlin, there's my friend Harvey helping me out now and then
    Your clockwork style is interesting, too. That would inspire Tim Burton to another great movie.
  21. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very dramatic and driving version Bertram, loved the backup too! And Maudlin, with all those solid eighth notes I noticed I didn't take a breath until you were finished...

My version is A dorian and is played on my 1913 Gibson F2. A Simon and Patrick acoustic guitar added some backup. It was tuned DADGBD and capoed at the seventh fret to play in the key of A minor.

22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There's a hornpipey lilt Michael, which combined with the offbeat backing makes me picture two-toned shoes and a straw hat strolling down the sunny side of whatever street you like
  23. JL277z
    JL277z
    Bertram, sounds great, and that's a cool drone - I presume that's the "synth organ" listed in credits at end.

maudlin, I like it, good steady groove. You're good with those tricky left-hand notes, I've been practicing this tune but my fingers keep getting confused.

Michael, very expressive, cool triplets, nice slides, great ethereal and unobtrusive guitar backing as usual. The Spock shirt is cool too.
  24. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great to see more versions, all very interesting and different.
    Love the look of your old mandolin Michael and such a beautiful tone - mainly down to the playing one suspects. I really like the backing. Nearly DADGAD but not quite - I'm sure there is a reason for the tuning you use but I can't work it out.
  25. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    James, the reason is that I usually have one of my guitars tuned to drop D all the time (DADGBE) and use it to play finger picking blues. So when I need a guitar for IT or modal old time tunes I just quickly drop the other E down to D too. DADGBD is also called double dropped D. However you'd be correct to suspect some laziness on my part too...
  26. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Michael, your version makes me think of music accompanying a scene where the protagonists in a film are driving across country in a relaxed manner!
  27. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    O, of course double drop D, that makes sense. I had really thought about it like this but it's just one more step on the road to DADGAD. I've never gone much beyond drop D on the guitar myself (finger style blues as well). I can only really cope with the bouzouki these days - fewer strings to worry about and I know may way around it, thanks to the mandolin, in a way I never did with the guitar.
  28. Francis J
    Francis J
    I love the variations in interpretation that this group brings. Here's my take (webcam mike) twice through the tune.
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Francis!
  30. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Enjoyed everyone's take. Francis, well played and welcome back.
  31. JL277z
    JL277z
    Francis, nicely played!

Here's my try. With triplets! (or 16th-notes or something, anyway just a couple of 'em, I'm way out of practice). CAUTION: Second time through tune has GDAEB distorted electric guitar just for fun. The chords I chose are not standard (and might even be wrong, who knows) but I like the harmony. YouTube did something to the audio sync*, the mandolin part audio sync is off by a couple of frames:

or direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aAMD-X5Vio

Both instruments plugged into Roland Micro Cube - mandolin set to "Acoustic", guitar set to "Brit Combo". Mandolin is a $50 Rogue, de-glossed with "0000" steel wool. I have a currently-unused 'better' mandolin (an old Favilla) but it has issues, and for my purposes the cheap Rogue is better. Recorded with Audacity on slow cheap laptop PC.

The A5 chords are for a more ambiguous sound - no 3rd, which would determine whether major or minor. Seems to fit the tune I guess.

---
    * Now I think I know why YouTube messed up the audio sync, because I didn't have a place-holder silent audio track run the entire duration of the video. That's what I usually do when putting two video clips together in one video in Adobe AE, where each clip has its own separate audio track, but in this case I forgot... there are parts of the video that don't contain any audio track at all (not even a silent one), which somehow confuses the YouTube encoder. Maybe I will do it over again later.
  32. JL277z
    JL277z
    No problem with audio sync now... huh... one of the mysteries of YouTube I guess.
  33. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice sounding arrangement... I like the unexpected electric guitar. Chord pulse looks and sounds interesting and I like your chord selections for the backup. Well done.
  34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I like the "Green Gooves of Erin", JL277z. The electric part goes well with me (no surprise, is it). It's all a true mixture from ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha...
  35. JL277z
    JL277z
    Michael and Bertram, thanks! It sure is a fun tune to play.
  36. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    The electric part reminds me a wee bit of Horslips....
  37. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    loved the electric version

quick effort on the new to me Shippey A5, i'm struggling to get out of the way of the bridge on this one, arched topped, high bridged instruments are certainly less forgiving to right hand frailties than flat tops

38. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Very good Lawrence. Bridge issues aren't affecting your ability to do triplets. Lovely looking mandolin. I suspect you are noticing the bridge because of the position of it rather than a function of arch top versus flat top - the strings are always higher than the bridge after all. I'm guessing this is the first mandolin you've owned that has the modern A style adoption of the Loar F long neck to body join that puts the bridge more in the centre of the mandolin. An old Gibson A would have the bridge more in a position of most flat tops. I own both styles - you'll soon get used to it.
  39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Lawrence. I think if you move your picking hand up nearer to where the fretboard is you'll not only get out of the way of the bridge, but also find the "sweet spot" sound wise on the Shippey.