Mrs. Maxwell (O'Carolan)

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I'm never quite sure when I record a tune where it is going to end up and this one more than most has traveled a long way. My mandolin playing was terrible and the tune sounded better on the concertina anyway, so mandolin was out and concertina in. Then I thought I would try to play some cool bouzouki like James & Francis play but apparently you must actually have a bouzouki AND know how to play it for that to work. Bouzouki out, octave mandolin in. I did tune it to ADAD and played some partial chords and drone like things. It still didn't have enough bounce to it so I added the bass. It doesn't sound much like an O'Carolan tune or even very Irish for that matter but it was a lot of fun to play. I'm hoping a few of you may like it.

2. dulcillini
    dulcillini
    Love it. Tempo is wonderful ! Great job !
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This is a fine tune with an innocent buoyancy well captured. Of course, the concertina comes into its own here but a mandolin part with lots of hammer-ons would have fitted, too.

I think your concerns are unneccessary and overthought. Reminds me of W.B. Yeats:

For all things turn to barrenness
    In the dim glass the demons hold,
    The glass of outer weariness,
    Made when God slept in times of old.
    There, through the broken branches, go
    The ravens of unresting thought;
    Flying, crying, to and fro,
    Cruel claw and hungry throat,
    Or else they stand and sniff the wind,
    And shake their ragged wings; alas!
    Thy tender eyes grow all unkind:
    Gaze no more in the bitter glass.

(from The Two Trees)
  4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really good David - swings along nicely. The octave makes a very good bouzouki. I often use my Paul Hathway Octave mandolin as a temporary bouzouki when I am out and about and need something more portable- good enough for most situations.
  5. Francis J
    Francis J
    I never tire of you playing David, super music once again. There's a sound that's pure "David Hansen" and it's recognisable instantly. Great backing and arrangement, as always.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very fine delivery once again, David. Lovely arrangement.
  7. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Yes, very well done again David. The octave worked out well and the concertina was spot on. Old Turlough would have liked it.
  8. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well Done! I agree with woodenfingers, I think Turlough would have liked it and more importantly, the people who paid his bills would have liked it.
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely, and a gorgeous OM as well!
  10. JL277z
    JL277z
    David Hansen wrote: "It doesn't sound much like an O'Carolan tune or even very Irish for that matter but it was a lot of fun to play. I'm hoping a few of you may like it."

I like it a lot! It's great, has a wonderful cheerful vibe and is very pleasant to listen to.

As to whether or not it sounds like O'Carolan or Irish, nowadays I'm not really qualified to comment in that department because I often (usually?) change tunes around to suit myself rather than precisely following one of the established traditions... when I was younger I played everything exactly the way it's 'supposed' to be based on how everyone else was playing the tunes (including copying all the old 1920s+ recordings note-for-note etc), but now I like to experiment and try new musical sounds. To me, that's what music is all about - music is a living thing, and I always love hearing new interpretations of older tunes. So, I don't know if your version is full-on O'Carolan/Irish or not, but it doesn't matter because your playing makes the tune sound great!