Week #347 ~ The Humours of Ballyconnell

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Humours of Ballyconnell (reel). According to the session.org, this tune is also known as An Captaen Roc, Captain Of The Rocks, Captain Rock, Captain Rockís, Captain Rockeís, Captain Rockes, The Duke Of Athollís Rant, The Duke Of Athollís, The Humors Of Ballyconnell, The Humours Of Ballyconnel, Tom Spillaneís. There is also a hornpipe on the session.org, with this same name.

Here is a link to the page on thesession.org, to this tune as a reel.

Here is a link to the abc and notation on abcnotation.com

Here are some videos:

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I recognise this tune form our local session, though I've never played it before or knew the name of it. Here's my own mini-session version with mandolin, bouzouki, tenor banjo and bodhran.

3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Excellent James - nicely played and a great mix between the instruments.
    Here is the second setting from The Session.
  4. JL277z
    JL277z
    Lovin' it, great tune! Maudlin those are cool hammers and triplets, James your version is a great antidote to holiday blues, felt like dancing! Good pickin'.
  5. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    James, very nice indeed!! Great arrangement and very nice picking.

Maudlin, well done!

All the best to you for the New Year.
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Thanks for the comments folks.
    Looking forward to another year of new tunes and hopefully unleashing my accordion playing on the world. It seems a long time ago Bob that you gave me some good advice on buying an accordion. I now have two. AAS doesn't quite have the same ring as MAS.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley

Howya folks, some of ye might remember me - long time no see! Just learnt this one and this was only the third time I'd ever played it, so not up to speed yet. Haven't been playing much banjo or mandolin for the past 4 years or so (distracted by my drum kit and my band), but getting back into it now.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa Jill, I thought we had lost you - but then, this music wouldn't let anybody leave.
    Good to see you have put strings on your drumkit again
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Welcome back Jill, it's good to hear you play again.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Hey there Bertram & David, hope you're both well!
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I think you can conclude from our recent videos that we are all alive and picking