Week #340 ~ Crawdad Song

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is the Crawdad Song, which was submitted as a Bluegrass Tune, with the alternate name of Crawdad Hole Song. It appears to be more of an Old-Time tune, though!

This is what I've found on this tune.

and I'm saving the BEST for last.... our own Marcelyn and Jeff!

Here's the notation and lyrics on abcnotation.com
  2. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Marcy and Jeff, knockout job as usual. Here's mine on mando, guitar, and fiddle. I noodled through a few rounds. Maybe too many rounds so I even made a blurry video to help occupy your time.

3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That has a lot of cool variations, Bob. Great ideas!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I don't know much about Bluegrass, Bob, but your video sure made me hungry!
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two fine versions; Marcelyn and Jeff with the song and Bob with his instrumental. Not only have I enjoyed your playing, but now, having looked it up on-line, I know what a crawdad is! Not a word common here in Scotland.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I hope you knew them under a different name and have had the pleasure of eating them before, John. They're the best!
  7. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Thanks y'all.

And I looove crawfish etouffee !!
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Nicely done Bob. I take it from your pictures that a crawdad is a crayfish which is somewhat like a lobster?
    I associate this song with Big Bill Broonzy who recorded several versions. Here is mycross picking arrangement.
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice playing with some nice variations Woodenfingers. Well done Maudlin and some nice cross picking and singing too.

It was a lot of fun working up this arrangement of Crawdad Hole. I started with backup acoustic guitar and vocal, then added some bottle neck guitar on my National, and finally a bit of mandolin to round it off. I'm glad everyone has learned something about "crawdads" from this one...

10. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is my unrehearsed rushed version. I actually pulled the lyrics up online and read them while playing. I really need to get set up for some dubbing like some you guys. I play some flat top and a little banjo. I also acquired an acoustic bass recently. HMMMN?
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another three very different but equally entertaining takes, gents. Love the damped/chop chords in the last version here.
  12. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Wow, what performances!!
    Maudlin, that cross picking sounds great with the vocals, very nice.
    Michael - just awesome. I don't know how you generate that rhythm but it really works and the slide guitar is fantastic as is the mandolin and fingerpicking going on in there.
    Squatch - you sure have the licks too. Great chord transitions and the solos are remarkable. Way beyond my skill level and current thought process.
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    These versions are so cool!
    Maudlin, you've developed a really original style with that cross picking and it sounds great with your singing.
    Really awesome version Michael. The slide guitar makes it extra cool.
    Tim, that version is incredible. The breaks were fantastic and so was your singing. I remember a while back you were saying you wanted to figure out an authentic way to play old-time tunes. You sure have nailed it.
  14. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Michael, what a great version. And so many talented musicians in your band, too.
    Sasquatch, great playing as always, and that Monroe touch is there as well. Not that I could judge, tough
    Bob, nice picking and pics
    Maudlin, you have learned a lot from Mickey's(??) book . Very nice singing, too - and good to see you in person.

Here is a version I learned from one of my first mandolin books - Mandolin Gold. Sorry, only a Crawdad Tune, no singing here:
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very cool version Sasquatch and what a great singing voice you've got too!

That's my favorite of your mandolins Manfred. Nicely played and it has exquisite tone by the way.

Woodenfingers: there were only three instruments used to generate the rhythm on this one. The first was an acoustic guitar played very simply with a flat pick using a bass strum pattern, next was the mandolin using a typical mandolin chunk style backup. Perhaps the most mysterious was the National guitar. I finger picked this one with an alternating bass pattern and had a slide on my little finger so that I could drop in some slide licks along with the finger picked stuff. It was tuned to an alternate tuning: DADF#AD. This is a style of guitar playing that I don't do as much of as I should. I wish there was a video so that you could see it in action but I was not up to filming on this project. Thanks!
  16. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Bravo David !! Very nice. You have a great singing voice and the arrangement was great. The video was wonderful too. Great choice of pics. Are you using an electric guitar in there? You are quite the multi-instrumentalist one man band.

Michael - Your slide guitar was fantastic but what was throwing me off was the the percussion rhythm and how you developed the 'drive' in the tune. I had myself convinced at one point that you must be using brushes on a snare drum but I guess it is the mandolin chop chords. You get a really nice sound on those chop chords, it's not a hard thwack, more like a brush stroke.

Manfred - very well done. I like the runs. They would be great to use in the background while someone is singing the tune. I'm stealing them...
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done David. Great voice and great choice of instruments.

Woodenfingers: Here's a discussion of the role of the mandolin in an acoustic band. Towards the end of the article it touches upon the percussive qualities a mandolin can bring to the band. Great stuff!
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/bluegrass.html
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Guilty as charged, it is an electric guitar but it's a Collings electric guitar and since they make mandolins too, that makes it ok, right?
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Sure does... and by that logic you can play fender, ibanez, gibson and ovation electric guitars too! Yessiree!
  20. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    David, you can use what ever instrument suits your fancy!! Whatever it is I know you will get wonderful music out of it.