Week #337 ~ Waterbound

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It took a while to get a winner! This week's winner by one vote, is Waterbound, which was submitted as an Old Time tune. I'm not familiar with the tune, and, upon researching it, it seems there are at least two different songs (lyrics?) with the name of Waterbound, so I'm not sure if they are the same tune with different lyrics, or different tunes all together! In the regular forum poll discussion, was a link to Dirk Powell's Waterbound

Here are the lyrics to that version:

WATERBOUND
    (Dirk Powell)

I went out late one night,
    The moon and stars were shining bright
    A storm come up and the trees come down,
    I tell you boys I was waterbound

Waterbound on a stranger's shore
    River rising to my door
    carried my home to the field below
    I'm water bound, nowhere to go.

Carved my name on an old barn wall
    Or no-one would know I was there at all
    Stable's dry on a winter's night
    If you turn your head you can see the light.

Black cat crawling on an old box car
    A rusty door and a falling star
    Aint got no dime in my nation sack
    I'm waterbound and I can't get back

It's I'm going and I won't be back
    If you don't believe me count my tracks
    The river's long and the river's wide
    I'll meet you boys on the other side

So say my name and don't forget
    The water still aint got me yet
    Ain't nothing but I'm bound to roam
    I'm waterbound and I can't get home

Here is that video:

Here's another:

I haven't been able to find notation for this song.

Here's info on the other tune with that name:

WATERBOUND. AKA and see “Stay All Night,” "Way Down in North Carolina." Old Time, Song/ piece. USA, Virginia. A Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AB (Silberber): AABB (Kuntz). This piece is originally from Roscoe Holcomb, though the Bogtrotters also recorded an early version of the song.

Chickens crowin' in the old plowed field, (x3)
    Down in North Carolina.

Refrain (Verses 1, 3)
    Waterbound and I can't go home, (x3)
    I have to stay till morning.

Bill and Charlie lets go home, (x3)
    Before the water rises.

The water's up and I can't get across, (x3)
    I'll ride the old white horse.

The old man's mad but I don't care, (x3)
    Just so I get his daughter.
    If he don't give her up I'm a gonna run away, (x3)
    Down in North Carolina.

Waterbound and I can't go home, (x3)
    Down in North Carolina. (Kuntz)

Dirk Powell's "Waterbound" is a different song.

Here is a link to the notation for the old time tune (not Dirk Powell's version)
  2. luurtie
    luurtie
    This is a version with a nice mandolinpart. Mandolinplayer Ben Winship and John Lowell at its best.. I love these guys!

3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's Waterbound or Way Down In North Carolina which is the older tune with the same name as mentioned above. It's a different tune altogether!

4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for those videos! So, this week, you can choose which Waterbound you are interested in... or do both!!!! Two for one!
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the old time Waterbound in the key of G

6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    And here's another video of the Old Time version in the key of A (like the link I had earlier for the notation)

7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Hope this is one of the versions listed above:

8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I'm not sure what tune it is either but I agree with what your cat said - well done!!
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Manfred. I'm not sure what tune that is either. I opted for the Dirk Powell song. Although I really don't like to sing, I like this song a lot. I'm really liking the mandonator and banjo combination on this as well.

10. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, guys.
    This is really spectacular, David. And definitely not the Old Timey tune I tried to play.
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played old time mandolin break Manfred! (Is that a new mandolin you're playing in this video?)

David: This song really suits your singing style which makes for very enjoyable listening. The banjo/mandonator combination really works well. And I'd be interested to know if anyone else was reminded of a Japanese instrument at times especially during some of the bent notes you were playing...
  12. jonny250
    jonny250
    good stuff guys, both very different, but both good. i agree with michael - sounds a bit oriental David
  13. luurtie
    luurtie
    Totally different tunes though both very nice Manfred and David! I'm very curious about your mandolin Manfred, it sounds very nice. David, your version has a little Japanese sounds in it, have you been on vacation there?
    I made a quick mix this evening inspired by a version of Michael McGoldrick.

14. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice and relaxed, Hendrik. Love your voice.

Michael and Hendrik, RE Mandolin:
    This is my second mandolin. I have had it for a while and use it in jams. It is a Silverangel.
    I use a Blue Chip TP-1R 60 pick, by the way. This makes it sound brighter. I can vary my tone A LOT on my two mandolins just by using either a WEGEN or Blue Chip. No matter which pick, however, they sound pleasant to my ears.
  15. jonny250
    jonny250
    nicely done Luurtie, really nicely balanced mix.
    i went for a slower version; i volunteer for an inshore rescue boat here and my pager went off at the end - i liked the irony with this song lyrics so left it in :

16. JL277z
    JL277z
    Doggone it, I thought I'd posted but then I thought it was the wrong thread, turns out it was the right thread after all, but now I've lost my original post. Huh. Anyway sum it by saying y'all sound great! And Manfred I like your rhythm, you had me tapping my foot!
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    The videos this week are just awesome!
    Jonny, I always love your posts. This one and I'll Fly Away are two of my favorites. Hendrik and David, what cool arrangements! Love the instruments and singing from you both.
    I'm glad you took on the Down in North Carolina version, Manfred. It's a good one. Fantastic playing.
  18. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Congrats to the vocalists. Very well done by everyone. I couldn't muster up vocals for this at all. I plinked around some and finally settled on mando, guitar, fiddle, and accordion. The tune gave me a bit of Cajun feel, hence the accordion, and it also reminded me of a country tune - Seminole Wind - with sawgrass and bayous.

19. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well done Bob, it works well that way. I removed the "koto" track from my previous recording and added some mandolin, hopefully this one doesn't sound like "Turning Japanese". Extra points if anyone remembers that song.

20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I’m not going to post on this tread but all these submissions are amazing.
  21. JL277z
    JL277z
    I agree with Frithjof, these are all fantastic. And I also like both the koto and non-koto versions that David Hansen posted. Good stuff!