Week #336 ~ I'll Fly Away

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is I'll Fly Away, which was submitted as a Bluegrass/Gospel song.

From Wikipedia:

"I'll Fly Away", is a hymn written in 1929 by Albert E. Brumley and published in 1932 by the Hartford Music company in a collection titled Wonderful Message.[1][2] Brumley's writing was influenced in part by an older secular ballad.

"I'll Fly Away" has been called the most recorded gospel song,[1][2] and it is frequently used in worship services by Baptists, Pentecostals, Nazarenes, the Churches of Christ and many Methodists.[3] It appears in many hymnals where it is listed under the topics of eternal life, heaven and acceptance. It is a standard song at bluegrass jam sessions and is often performed at funerals.

Here's the standard notation and abc from abcnotation.com

Lyrics:

Some glad morning when this life is o'er,
    I'll fly away.
    To a home on God's celestial shore,
    I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,
    I'll fly away.
    When I die, Hallelujah, bye and bye,
    I'll fly away.

When the shadows of this life have flown,
    I'll fly away.
    Like a bird thrown, driven by the storm,
    I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,
    I'll fly away.
    I'll fly away.

Just a few more weary days and then,
    I'll fly away.
    To a land where joy shall never end,
    I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,
    I'll fly away.
    I'll fly away.

Here are some videos:

2. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    From a few years ago. Loosely based on Compton's playing from that first video with Allison singing from the OBWAT recording.

3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I remember that video sgarrity... liked it then and still do. Well done.

He's my effort. I've played it as a bluegrass instrumental on mandolin with guitar backing. It's in the key of D...

4. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great playing Michael!!! That guitar backup really fills out the song. I could listen to a whole cd of that kind of music.
  5. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Shaun, well done. I love the double stop tremolos and slides. Looks like your dog gets into bluegrass too...

Michael, fabulous as always. I'm still dissecting your last 3 videos... Every time I go through them I learn something else. I can't fluidly incorporate what I learn but it's always a fun challenge and very helpful.

I took a page from Hendrik's last post and used a backing track from http://www.fbbts.com/Tunes.html. It was a useful exercise. As I have previously stated I can lose my place in a chord progression in a jam session if I try to get too fancy. Admittedly this is a fairly simple tune but I noodled around against the backing track and more or less stuck with it. It's a bit long, I just kept going until the backing track ended.

6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done woodenfingers! What you did with the backing track is excellent. It's always good to push yourself beyond where you are at the moment and to struggle to play so many different breaks in a row. It just gets your creative juices flowing. The good news is that if you play this song in a band situation, you'll probably only have one or two breaks to play. That means you can take the best parts of all of your practice breaks and come up with a killer break! Again, that's a job well done I think.

Thanks Shaun! I work just as hard on my backup guitar as I do on the mandolin so thanks a lot!
  7. jonny250
    jonny250
    woo, really good playing all round! i like your version sgarrity with those bluesy notes. Michael - soo talented - i need more time in a week to work out some of that stuff Woodenfingers - nice and clean, good idea to use that backing track too.
    I will lower the tone a bit with my take
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Excellent backup mandolin while you were singing with a couple of strong breaks too! Very well done!
  9. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Jonny - heavy man, great mandolin sound and singing. Wooden Fingers quite the opposite playing clean as a whistle with excellent improvisation.
    Here's my effort.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    It's always great to hear what can be done with a simple tune/song and how so many players can all put their own stamp on it. Great efforts from all who have posted this one.
  11. JL277z
    JL277z
    Y'all have some fantastic pickin! I'm really enjoying listening to all the versions. And Michael that guitar is great too! Good-sounding stuff.