Week #329 ~ The Otter's Holt

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It was a tie this week, and so I'm choosing The Otter's Holt as the winner. I'm not familiar with this tune. It was submitted as an Irish Traditional tune.

The Session says that it is also known as The Aughdara, The Otter’s Lair, The Otter’s Nest, Pol An Madra Uisce, Poll An Madra Uisce, Poll An Mhadra Uisce, Take Her In Your Arms, The Waterdog’s Hole.

Here's a link to the settings on thesession.org

And here is the link to the notation on abcnotation.com from John Chambers collection.

It seems to be a tune that lends itself to being part of a medley! Here are some You Tube videos:

2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    This set which includes the Otter's Holt is one of my favorites!

3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    hmmm..... Ten days later, and no one has contributed a video to this week's tune of the week?
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Bertram has.

I can't play reels, they have too many notes in them. This is a nice tune, though.
  6. cwboal
    cwboal
    I haven't posted in a while, but really was trying to get it down, as I think it is a nice tune and it is played in the local session by some folks. I've just been having a bear of a time getting it under my fingers.
  7. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    first effort on a cheap ebay octave which only arrived this morning , so we're still getting acquainted

8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Solid and reliable timing like a clockwork, as usual. The acquaintance seems to work out very well so far, and it's not sounding cheap, whatever the price.
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played on a very good sounding instrument!
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well played, G, and as Bertram and Michael say, it's a fine-sounding instrument. You've got a good one there!
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ok, first tune recorded on the Ajr. This is the first mandolin I've ever had with a) skinny frets and b) a flat fretboard, so I'm still getting used to it! I usually play Tommy Coen's and this together, learnt from a live recording from Matt Molly's pub.

12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played as usual and welcome back...!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great sound and playing as ever, Jill. You have been greatly missed on the SAW group, so a big welcome back from Scotland!
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers lads! I'm so delighted to have a mandolin again - have played about 3 hrs a day since it got here, very distracting!
  15. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    brilliant Jill, love of the sound of your Ajr and good to have you back
  16. Francis J
    Francis J
    Well played Jill and Bertram. And here's mine.

17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great pulse to your version Francis, enjoyed that! What mandolin are you playing? Is that a Foley?
  18. Francis J
    Francis J
    Thank you Jill, glad you enjoyed it, so good to see you back posting and playing. Your return prompted me to submit a few tunes after taking a (lazy) break. Yes indeed, it is a Foley, a great session instrument, but maybe a bit thin sounding for recording.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Second what Jill said, Francis: pulse - a bit hornpipey even; the master of timing at work.
    Something seems to shorten the sustain on your mandolin, however, the single notes do not ring out as much as I would expect from such an instrument. Is it possible that something is the matter with the saddle slots, or that your fretting fingers are too much on top of the frets?
  20. Francis J
    Francis J
    Thanks Bertram. I get what you're saying about the sustain. It certainly does not ring out on that video. I've checked back over some older videos, and I'm pretty sure I'm fretting ok, although the angle of the camera here suggests differently! There are issues here related to the webcam mike ( I have done some recording with decent microphones, and there is reasonably good sustain from the Foley). Over the period I've owned this mandolin, I've recorded it many times, and often needed some creative eq-ing to get a nice tone. A friend of mine has recently started a Lutherie business, and I might ask him if he can work some magic. As I said above, this is a great session instrument, loads of projection, and volume, but just does'nt like the webcam mike very much.
    Just to illustrate, same mandolin, same player, different mike. If only I could remember which mike.......I need to start taking notes. Btw apologies to the composer, I think it may be David (need to make notes!)
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That video is interesting because it has tones of both kinds - some ring out (especially in the slides and chords), some are like flageolets, depending on where exactly the finger goes or how long the finger stays put before moving on. The mixture of both has a tasteful character (the instruments speaks, so to speak).