Week #327 ~ Rose of Avonmore

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Rose of Avonmore, which was submitted as an Irish Traditional tune. I am not familiar with it, and am on the road, posting the winner from my phone, so once again, I am going to rely on some of our other helpful members to link to notation and videos!!
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    ROSE BUD OF ALLENVALE, THE. AKA and see "Rose of Sharon Waltz," "Rose of Allendale," "Rose(bud) of Avonmore," “Rosebud of Allenvale,” “Roses of Ava Moore.” Scottish (originally), Canadian, Old-Time; Air (6/8 time) or Waltz. A Major. Standard tuning. AB. Composed by the great Scots fiddler and composer J. Scott Skinner (1843-1927), originally published in the 1920's in his Cairngorn Series #9. The title sometimes appears as "The Rose of Allendale" and similar variants, and can be found in Midwest America under the title "Rose of Sharon Waltz." (“The Rose of Allendale” is also the name of another famous melody, in common time), and “Roses of Ava Moore.” Missouri fiddler Howard Marshall writes: “we call this "Rose of Sharon" (for those of us who may have learned it off Howdy Forester's old LP) or "Rosebuds of Aviemore" (there is a town in the Scottish Highlands south of Inverness named Aviemore; I've been there), or "Rosebuds of Avamore" (maybe a reference to the Ozark town of Ava MO where fiddler Bob Holt lives).” Missouri fiddler Gary Johnston (b. 1937) seems to emphasize this in his title “Roses of Ava Moore”, and Gordon McCann (Ozark Fiddle Music, 2008) says it is sometimes called by regional fiddlers as “Roses of Ever Moore.” Source for notated version: George MacPhee (b. 1941, Monticello, North-East Kings County, Prince Edward Island) [Perlman]. Hunter (Fiddle Music of Scotland), 1988; No. 38. Matthiesen (Waltz Book II), 1995; pg. 49. Perlman (The Fiddle Music of Prince Edward Island), 1996; pg. 174.

X:1
    T:Rose Bud of Allenvale, The
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    R:Air
    C:J. Scott Skinner
    Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion
    K:A
    (e/d/) | c>dc BAB | (A3 A2)c | d>ef ecA | (B3B2) e/d/ | c>de ABc |
    d2e f2 g/a/ | eAd c2B | (A3 A2) || c/d/ | e>f=g f2e | (d3d2)e | f>ga g2f |
    (e3e2) f/g/ | aec A2=G | FAd f^gf | eAd c2B | (A3A2) ||

3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As far as I can tell, this is the title of an old-time waltz which seems most popular in the Missouri Ozarks, where it also goes by the names "Rose of Sharon Waltz", "Rosebud of Avonmore", "Roses of Ava Moore" and others. It may be derived from "Rosebud of Allenvale" by the Scottish fiddler James Scott Skinner. I've also seen the suggestion that the tune is also known as "Rose of Allendale", but if so it has nothing to do with the song of that title.

My version is from the web site of the Blackford Fiddle Group at:

http://www.blackfordfiddlers.org.uk/...20Avonmore.pdf

Played as a quartet of two mandolins, octave mandolin and tenor guitar.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

I've also come across this other (and somewhat simpler) version of the tune:

http://www.missourifiddling.com/Musi...20Avonmore.pdf

In addition, there are lots of versions under the above other titles, all somewhat different.

Martin

[Edit: Michael and I were posting at the same time -- looks like the Fiddler's Companion confirms most of what I said, but is more positive on Scott Skinner's authorship.]
  4. Tavy
    Tavy
    Martin that was a lovely rendition of a charming tune!

For those that want it, here's Skinners original manuscript:

And here's a link to a recording of Skinner playing the piece, what's interesting is how very slow it is, I mean really slow!
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John -- I had seen Skinner's original edition too, and it's why I was a bit cautious to say it's the same tune. The obvious difference is that Skinner's air quite definitely isn't a waltz, unlike the Missouri old-time tune of that name.

Martin
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I learned "The Rosebud of Allenvale" many years ago from a Scottish fiddler, we used to play this as a waltz for contra dances. For a change I used my mandonator & my tenor banjo for the mando parts and piano for the accompaniment.

7. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great stuff from Martin and David. Here is the arrangement by Charlie Walden with arpeggio backing.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great inspiration from all submissions.
    I play it on mandolin and bouzouki with guitar accompaniment. And the Austrian Alps once again. I try to get used to this multi-track procedure so that I can do it with less effort.

9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Been absent from SAW for some time and-oh what I missed! Nice tune, nice versions. I especially like the mandonator but... I have more than enough stringed instruments. Sure gonna try this tune! Should work fine with a classical guitar accompaniment.