Week #326 ~ Cremonea (O'Carolan)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It was a tie this week, so, since it's been a while since we've done an O'Carolan tune, I'll pick that one!

Here is a link to the standard notation.

Here's our own David Hansen's You Tube video:

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've had a go at this tune today. As Carolan goes, it's quite obscure and there aren't very many arrangements around beyond the bare melody line. However, it's in the book "Celtic Music for Mandolin" by Allan Alexander and Jessica Welsh, which I bought many years ago and haven't used much. As with most arrangement in that book, it has the original tune followed by a variation by Jessica Walsh. I didn't like that variation much, but I came across another source here:

http://kazimcapaci.com/pdf/Cremonea%20C%20maj.pdf

That version also says "Variation by Jessica Walsh", but it's a completely different (and more interesting) variation than in my book. I suspect it's from her book "Celtic Music for Flute", which also lists Cremonea. The original tune is exactly the same in both versions (and somewhat different from the O'Sullivan book version which Barbara has posted).

So, for my recording I've used the variation from the PDF linked above, but the chords from the mandolin book. As the progression is the same in the original tune and the variation, it works just fine playing the variation as a second instrumental voice (harmony/counter melody). So, I've played the tune as a duet between mandolin and OM, in varying combinations of unison and harmony -- the mandolin plays ABABCDCD and the OM plays ABCDABCD.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 bouzouki
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Martin, I like the variations. I decided to do an updated video based upon the O'Sullivan version, I couldn't get past the accidentals in the B part so I played them as naturals, sounds better to me that way. I couldn't find a definition for Cremonea so for my video I used photos of Cremona, Italy and Cremona made violins.

4. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Martin, David, great orchestration. I didn't like the accidentals either, I kept thinking it must be a mistake in the score...
    David, interesting stereo effect I get with the concertina. Sounds like two players doing a call and response. How'd you do that?
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    No magic involved, I individually mic each side of the concertina, so what you are hearing are the notes played by the right hand come out of the right speaker and the notes played by the left hand come out of the left speaker. The mandolin is much simpler, you just put one mic in front and you are good to go.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great performance of the masters. The famous David Hansen Orchestra is a world of its own. And Martin, itís amazing how many of these fine arrangements you find and put together during one weekend.
    I simply play the melody. To look at you get some impressions of our recent vacation trip through the Austrian Alps.

7. Tavy
    Tavy
    Really nice performances all - I've been looking for an O'Carolan in C to play on the dola.... maybe this is it
  8. Tavy
    Tavy
    OK here's my version.

I kept the F#'s to make the key A Dorian, used a mandola and an OM for the low parts, and mandolin for the high. I couldn't get on with the variations Martin found (sounded like different tunes to me - even if perfectly nice ones!), so I've tried to create my own second time through. I think I'm only semi-happy with the result so comments are much appreciated.