Week #324 ~ John Hardy

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner was a tie, so I chose John Hardy, which was submitted as a BG tune, as we haven't had a BG tune in a while!

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about John Hardy (song)

Here's what tunesearch.org has to say about John Hardy.

Here are some lyrics for John Hardy

Here's a you tube video John Hardy (bluegrass banjo)

Here's a you tube video of Leadbelly doing John Hardy

You Tube of Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, Marty Stuart and Jack Lawrence - John Hardy

If anyone can help with notation, I'd appreciate it!
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys

3. crisscross
    crisscross
    A mandolin tutorial by Banjo Ben Clark
    Mando tabs in A major http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...john_hardy.htm
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    This is one of those tunes that's likely to be played in almost any key so a mandolin player needs to be prepared. Luckily the melody is fairly easy and many people play it as a tune without singing the lyrics. A banjo or a guitar will likely kick it off in G and that's where I first learned it. If someone remembers to put on a capo they might play it in A to make it easier for the fiddler or mandolin picker but don't count on it. If the lyrics are going to be sung then it would be in a key that the singer chooses. Bottom line is that this is a perfect tune to learn in a couple of keys when you have the time... by the way, Bill is doing it in G in the above video.
  5. crisscross
    crisscross
    I wanted my version of "John Hardy" to sound like a Bavarian "Hausmusik"-circle (with the pen pal from Dublin participating in the session) That's why I played the guitar part on a nylon string guitar and for the melody, I dug out my flute, which I havn't played for years.
    BTW: does anyone recognize the mandolin player in a beer garden?
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

That's a different style of John Hardy- very nicely played.
    I did the crosspicking arrangement of this song some years ago so for a change I have used the backing track from Andy Statman's bluegrass book; though I had to slow it down considerably in order to keep up.