Week #322 ~ Tail Toddle

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hooray! I am in town (getting my oil changed to get back on the road) and they are letting me use their high speed internet!

The winner this week is Tail Toddle which was submitted as a Scots Reel. I am not familiar with this tune!

Here is a link to the tune on abcnotation.com

Here is the link to the tune on thesession.org

Hopefully, someone can find some videos to share!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I know this song from a recording of Ewan McColl, but Tony Cuffe (remember the band Ossian?) makes a good job of it, too:

Should you be curious as to what the song is all about...
  3. crisscross
    crisscross
    There seem to be mostly pipe versions of this reel, the only plucked instruments are a tenor banjo
    and a harp
    A fellow GDAEist
    So that's your chance to present the first mandolin version on Youtube.

Standard notation with lyrics(in case you wanna sing)http://www.8notes.com/scores/6541.asp
    With lots of grace notes http://www.ceolsean.net/content/RobR...ook01%2015.pdf
    With guitar chords http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/sc...oddle_reel.htm
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

This was a difficult one. Not only is it ornamented by trills, but a good half are tricky trills playable with the ring finger. Afraid mine don't ring out quite like they should but I did my best.
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Maudlin: Nice effort on a difficult tune...

In the past I've sometimes felt that a week was just not enough time to do a tune justice. With all the ornaments and trills this might be one of those tunes. I've always felt a month was how long it took me to really know a tune, and sometime during that month it needed to be performed in front of an audience as well for the tune to stick in my memory and stay. However, after joining this group and compressing the time down to a week, it seems a week is almost enough time to get the performance just about right. I find, however, that if I don't stick with a tune after the week is up the tune disappears from my memory just like I never knew it at all. Anyone else notice this?
  6. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice playing, Maudlin.

It makes me feel so good and normal to read that, Michael. I am not nearly the player so many of you are, so I thought it was me. It also happens to me with uke songs (chord progressions) that I play and sing. Like you said, a month of a lot of playing is about right for it to stick around for a while. BTW, Michael, I continue to enjoy your MP3 album you gave to us a few years ago -- great stuff!
  7. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Here's my try at this tune. My old acoustic mandolin needs major repairs before it can be safely played, I got tired of being without it so I modified a cheap guitar to serve as a temporary substitute quasi-mandolin-like device until I get a proper replacement. Yes, it's tuned GDAE:

(or direct link)
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very inventive JL277z - sounds futuristic (like something the Cantina Band of Mos Eisley would play) but with the full virtuosity of the original.
    Now we have to wait for the contributions of C3PO and R2D2.
  9. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Bertram: Lol, thanks!