Andy Poe back to building full time

1. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Hi all,

I shared the news that Andy is back to building full time in this post. I'll be excited to see some more Poes around these parts! The recent Poe Scouts in the Classifieds are the first to roll out.

Also, I recently purchased used Poe #26 from Fiddler's Green in Austin. What a gorgeous F5 Fern! With great playability and tone to boot, I'm a happy camper! I added a couple photos of my pair of Poes-ies to the group pics. Enjoy.
  2. cayuga red
    cayuga red
    It really is great news. Andy told me awhile back of his plan to resume hs full time luthier career. Congrats to you on the acquisition of # 26. It is a beautiful mandolin. Andy's work is impeccable and the thought has occured to me that for some mandollin players, anything that looks that good probably doesn't sound good. I believe the recent recordings of the new Scouts put that theory to rest.
    Thanks for posting and enjoy your Fern.
  3. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Yeah, I think the small quantity of Poes hitting the market in the past 5 years coupled with the rise of other outstanding builders such as Tom Ellis and Will Kimble has quieted the excitement for Poe mandolins. It will be interesting to see if that changes now that Andy is back to full time luthiery. Regarding the sound, I can say that out of the past 10 mandolins I've owned, my two Poes reign at #1 and #2 in that department. I love playing them, listening to them, and just staring at them.
  4. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    To keep Andy busy, I just sent him my deposit on #73, a Scout tribute to the original Gibson Alrite. I've also enlisted the help of Paul Fox to create a reproduction pickguard in keeping with the original. My goal is capture the vintage aesthetics of those early pancakes and combine them with the modern playability features of today's instruments. I have complete confidence that Andy can turn that vision into a reality.
  5. cayuga red
    cayuga red
    Wow, Andy is already up to # 73! I recently received # 60 -also a Scout - so his orders must be rolling in. For those of us who admire Andy's work, it's all good news.

I'm not familiar with the pickguard style you refer to in your message. If possible, can you post a photo?

Congratulations on # 73. You will not be disappointed.

Red
  6. pheffernan
    pheffernan
  7. cayuga red
    cayuga red
    Nice pickguard! Thanks for posting.
  8. NateRed88
    NateRed88
    Andy is indeed back to full-time building, and the mandolin world thanks him for it. Hopefully some more recordings will be on the way soon! I'm itching to play some of his new instruments.
  9. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Nate - Great! Looking forward to Andy's creations and your fine picking.
  10. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Andy has just sourced some 500 year old tight grained old growth sinker birch reclaimed from the bottom of Goose Bay Lake for my Scout!
  11. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Birch you say? I've heard of sinker maple in the Great Lakes, but never birch. Interesting. And where is Goose Bay Lake? Keep us posted on your Scout build pheffenan.
  12. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Goose Bay Lumber is in New Hampshire, although I may have erred on the body of water from which the log was recovered. I did want birch, however, like the original Gibson Alrite flattops and found the sawmill on a tip from Max Girouard.
  13. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    I finally took delivery on my Scout, ultimately #74, this past Thursday. I started a thread about it in the General Mandolin Discussions forum. Andy's treatment on the instrument can be found on his website here: http://www.poestrings.net/poe-74-scout-mandolin