Castle Kelly

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Two incentives urged me to put a bit more effort into a video and therefore dive into the deeper bowels of iMovie:
    - David Hansen's elaborate productions, proof of what is possible,
    - Cafe member BradKlein's discovery that the standard vido capture software tries to inflate my single-mic mono signal into kind of a wide stereo with phase inversion which in turn make the resulting videos inaudible on mono devices; GarageBand saves me from this kind of folderol.

The audio/video syncing proved to be less harrassing than I had feared. So here goes - the popular reel Castle Kelly with Man of the House as bonus tune, featuring my hotel-room practise instrument (Ultralight guitar tweaked to 4 strings) and my old TB for backing tracks.

2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Whoa Nellie! Great video, excellent sound and I love the overdriven guitar sound to accompany the melody of the tune...
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great work, that man. And of course I just have to love a tune called Castle Kelly! Very good balance and I too like the guitar sound, as Michael says.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Michael and John. Glad it worked out.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great playing and great video! Like Michael, I like the folk/metal crossover. This could start a trend!
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice job!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Dennis and Criss. The metal crossover trend is on it's way already, I'm afraid - I found this version only after I recorded my own; the tune seems to suggest itself for that. But I'd rather not try that in a session.
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'd love to hear you try the voice, though.
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Yes please!
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You know, that voice explains the conundrum of their artwork: who has slain these men and left their expensive swords behind? No, there were no enemies - they died of bronchitis. That's what you get from marching in the middle of winter without a shirt on your back...
  11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a cool sound! You have a knack for blending the traditional and the modern very tastefully.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Marcy, that's exactly the kind of knack to make traditionalists pretzel their toes.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hey Yoooooooooo, Bertram, nice full-on playing. That electric is happening!
    Commendable performance.

Here’s my go at this. Unfortunately the camera ran out of memory at this stage in the day so I had to torment you guys with colour!
    Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/NKDveOO7E04
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    And now I remember why this tune has been on my to-do list for years! I like your video with the colour art demonstration and the disappearing mandolinist. Well played in one of your usual relaxing and idyllic settings!
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Right Simon, at least you have a blood-stained log there, and part of your color artwork strongly reminds me of a scene from Watership Down, so the drama of the tune is sufficiently staged, despite brook and birdsong in the background
  16. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Let me get this straight. When the camera runs out of memory it starts by removing any musicians from the video? This sounds cool and I want one. More great stuff, Simon.