Week #314 ~ Bonnie Kate

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Bonnie Kate, which was submitted as an Old Time tune. From what I've found online on a tune by that name, it's a reel.... one place says it's a Scottish Reel. I'm not sure if there's another tune by that name, or if I've got the right one!

Here is the link to six settings for this tune on thesession.org

Here is a link to abc and standard notation from John Chambers music book on abcnotation.com

2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Me too, I'm not sure, whether there's another Bonnie Kate, or maybe the origin of the reel is a vocal song, but I found this easy version http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/se...onnie_kate.htm
    Since my current fad is early jazz on my tenor banjo, I arranged Bonnie Kate as a swing tune with a La Pompe back-up on my Cigano gypsy jazz guitar, and the melody played by my tenor banjo and my Kentucky e-mando
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very imaginative and well arranged! Nice blend of instruments too.
  4. Tavy
    Tavy
    Lovely version crisscross - works brilliantly in that style!
  5. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    I never heard of an old time tune by that name. This is a real showpiece played in ITM.
  6. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    Nothing on Fiddler's Companion site that would indicate OT: http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/BONN_BONNY.htm
  7. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Criss, very nice!!! Great sounding emando and love the guitar work too.
  8. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks John, Tavy and Woodenfingers! In Germany we have a saying:"Aus der Not eine Tugend machen" which means something like "to turn your limitations into advantages".
    Knowing that I'm technically not able to play Bonnie Kate at a breakneck reel-tempo, I arranged it as a relaxed swing tune. Hope that won't deter the other players from posting their versions of BK like it should really sound.
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    This version from thesession.org differs from the traditional Bonnie Kate that Michael Coleman and most Irish players play.