Week #311 ~ Wedding Tarantella

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Wedding Tarantella.

Here's a great video!

Here's a link to standard notation and abc from abcnotation.com
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    What a cool tune and my son is dating a Sicilian... who knows...
  3. crisscross
    crisscross
    A year or so ago, when I got my tenor banjo, I thought: "New instrument, time for a new approach." So I started picking jig triplets in DUD DUD fashion. Meanwhile, this has become second nature, but back when I did the recording, I was a little unsure about it, so if the timing is a little shaky at places, I hope you don't mind.
  4. jonny250
    jonny250
    Waay to go Crisscross - that sounds amazing on the tb!
  5. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Jonny. Here's a link to tabs for the Tarantella. http://www.theinternetlol.com/mandol...tarantella.txt
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Excellent playing Crisscross. This was another tune in May 2011 - so here is my effort posted then. I performed the piece with the London Mandolin Orchestra ; this is the second mandolin part.
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Maudlin Mandolin. I really liked your version. Contrary to mine it sounds really Italian. E gelato delizioso!
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Well put together Criss, with nice guitar accompaniment.
    Your version does indeed sound very Italian maudlin.

Here's my take, on my brand new Paul Hathway octave Mandola. I'm still in thrash around mode, but I'm sure I'll calm down.

9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Really excellent playing Christian, TB sounds great and innovative backup on guitar. Maudlin, you will have to change your name to Maudlinini when you play in Italy. James, inspired playing on a new instrument, I took a cue from you and played mine on my octave, in my case mandolin not mandola.

10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I have known this tune for a long time and only now learned its name. You have all provided wonderful and inventive renditions, but none of you thought of calling "Frederico!"

11. Orkun Hiyılmaz
    Orkun Hiyılmaz
    played at volpi's petaluma with Sheri and Stephen.

12. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Excellent playing! Where and what is volpi's petulama and is this Sheri Mignon (aka Mandophile)?
  13. Orkun Hiyılmaz
    Orkun Hiyılmaz
    Thank you,

Volpi's is nice Italian restaurant in Petaluma city near San Francisco. And yes she is Sheri Mignano (mandophile).
  14. jonny250
    jonny250
    well done folks - maudlinini sounds in character and i'm liking the octave versions too. Orcun that jam session looks like fun
    I am totally pushed for time this week so here's my rushed take:
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I recorded this about five years ago -- one of my very first videos. It goes well together with the Godfather Theme and Waltz (from the wedding scene in the movie). The tarantella starts at 2:08 in the video, and should really be quite a bit faster; I didn't kick up into a high enough gear after the slow waltz. Watching this, I wince at my flying fingers...

Martin
  16. crisscross
    crisscross
    WOW! Really nice versions! Thanks for reminding me of the Miracoli ad Bertram. I vaguely remembered an Italian food ad with this melody, but thought it was for a pizza and didn't find it."Fredericoooo"
  17. Tavy
    Tavy
    Hey! You guys have finally posted one I know

I also recorded this a while back - a full bells and whistles version:

18. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice John. Beautiful combination of instruments.
    Was the mandriola in there?
  19. Tavy
    Tavy
    "Very nice John. Beautiful combination of instruments.
    Was the mandriola in there?"

Not on that one: Fred Martin Bowlback on lead, one of my mandolins and a mandola backing up, and the waldzither on chord duty. Oh, and a shaky tomato!
  20. Tavy
    Tavy
    Finally got to sit in front of the computer with some headphones so I could listen to everyone else!

Really liked those OM versions - I sometimes play this on the waldzither, though for some reason Italian tune + German instrument = "sounds Greek". How does that work? BTW James, that Hathway sounds huge!