Week #305 ~ The Old Grey Cat

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Old Grey Cat.

I found this on Nigel Gatherer's abc collection.

Here's another.

Here are some You Tube videos:

I see that we've had Grey Cat on a Tennessee Farm as an official song of the week... is this a different tune?
  2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Sounds like a different tune to me. Here it is on a Savannah
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Nicely played, Maudlin!

Here's my version, on the Ajr with tenor guitar backing. The Fiddler's Companion says that the tune is played as a reel in Scotland and as a polka in the US. Mine is somewhere in the middle, I guess.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  4. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    From Kerr's Collection of Merry Melodies for the Violin, Vol. 1 from 1885.
  5. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    The Old Grey Cat is listed with the Highland Scottisches in Kerr's Collection.
    Maudlin, nice recording.
    Martin, your A jr is sounding real good.
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Well done to everyone so far - usual interesting variety of interpretations.
    Here's mine on mandolin and Irish Bouzouki - just a film of the bouzouki for a change.

7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played James, I particularly like your bouzouki playing, there is an art and a subtlety to playing the bouzouki that escapes me. You seem to have it in spades.
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Well done everyone. James, I agree with David, the bouzouki comes across very well, nicely done.

No old grey cats around the house currently so I give you our Old Grey Winter instead. About 7 inches of new snow the other day, freezing rain now, where's Spring? Hendrik probably has tulips already...

9. walt33
    walt33
    This is a great tune! Three settings given on The Session:

https://thesession.org/tunes/3420
  10. jonny250
    jonny250
    been a while since i've posted any saw's, so i thought i would have a go at this one. One thing i find with some of these SAW tunes is that they often naturally lead to other tunes to go with them - so i've been learning old grey cat, but will now also learn Glass Island Reel, which seems to get played with it a bit [and i like the tune]...
    Some really nice versions of this tune posted already, with lots of variations within the tune. woodenfingers, whereabouts are you? looks really cold!
  11. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Jonny, that was super!! Loved the variations and using those higher frets.
    Yes, it has been cold here in Central Indiana, USA. We have been setting record low temps and we are setting another one tonight at around -18C. Supposed to warm up next week though... It has been unusually cold right across North America and right down to Texas and Florida. They had 2 feet of snow in Kentucky yesterday, we were spared that one, and Boston has shattered 100 plus years for record snow fall for the winter. It's time for Spring. In the meantime, I'll look up the Glass Island Reel...