Week #303 ~ Indiana Firefly

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is Indiana Firefly. All I can find on it that it is a John Reischman tune, from the album, Up in the Woods. I haven't been successful in finding any notation, but here are some you tube videos:

2. luurtie
    luurtie
    I love this tune ....I don't now if there are tabs on the internet, but here are the chords I used for my backing track (second video)
    Part 1 I Am I D I C I G I Am I D I C-G I Am I 2x
    Part 2 I E I E-D I A I A I E I E I G I A I
    I E I E-D I A I A I G I D I E I E I
    Part 3 I A I D I C I G I A I D I C-G I Am I
    I Am I D I C I G I Am I D I C-G I Am I
    Part 4 I E I E-D I A I A I E I E I G I A I
    I E I E-D I A I A I G I D I E I E I
    Part 5 I Am -G I Am I Am-G I Am I Am- G I Am I Am- G IAm
  3. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I'm a big fan of John Reischman and lurtie's version was a real inspiration, so here's my attempt. I've stuck with the basic melody and left out all the variations and solos that John Reischman does on the record - no doubt others will oblige!.

4. luurtie
    luurtie
    That was nice James... You get a good tone out of your mandolin. It's good to hear there are more Reischman fans like me!
  5. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Well done James!! Very smooth.
    Luurtie, your usual relaxed and excellent picking.

There is a version of the tune on Mandozine that is very close to James' take. I learnt it a couple years ago. Time to dig it out and practice it!!
  6. jonny250
    jonny250
    I enjoyed Luurties version very much, then just heard James playing and that was really nice too - clean playing good stuff.
  7. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Since I am a life-long Hoosier, this song is an absolute must learn. I have been noodling with this tune since Hendrick posted it before voting. There aren't any firefly's flying here in Richmond, IN today taking it is near 0 with 40 mph winds but I can assure you they will be flying in the warmth of my brick ranch.
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great tune and great playing Hendrick and James. Hope to learn this one.
  9. Dan Krhla
    Dan Krhla
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The version by John Reischman above is amazing... and so are the rest of the tracks from that concert. If you haven't already, go ahead and listen to them...

luurtie's version from a ways back is very good as is James' with guitar backup.

Dan posted a link to a version of this song which is very good and requires TablEdit to play. If you haven't purchased this program yet, it is well worth the meager amount the maker is changing for it. It also shows the chords etc. and you can 'play' the tab file so that you can also hear how it's supposed to go.
  11. luurtie
    luurtie
    When you're not able to install tabledit I made an image of the tab file http://members.home.nl/h.luurtsema/i...fireflytab.jpg
  12. Dan Krhla
    Dan Krhla
    You can also get the tabledit player for free. It will let you open and play .tefs but not edit them or make your own. I bought the full version, well worth it. NFI
  13. Toycona
    Toycona
    I was at that Jaybirds show (with special guests John Mailander and Molly Tuttle). Those two kids sure did their Jaybird homework, trading licks on JR's fiddle tunes throughout the last set. There's a bright future in Bluegrass.
  14. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That is lovely, James. Your Eastman sounds great.
  15. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Nice job luutier and James . Here is my go

16. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    You guys make it sound so easy... I love the relaxed style with no missed beats. Very smooth. Even at speed I keep expecting Luurtie to nod off - it seems so effortless for him. James, you really nailed it too with a nice smooth version. Obiwan, great picking and I want that Weber...

Like Sasquatch, I also reside in Indiana so the video is a tribute to Indiana Fireflies and other Indiana icons. The painter is T.C. Steele. Most people think of Indiana as flat prairie-like terrain and a lot of it is but there are parts that are rolling with ravines and spectacular vistas.

17. luurtie
    luurtie
    Well done Alex and Bob. Alex, I can hear you have been playing a lot last year and you play clean with a good tone! Bob, I love the way you make your recordings. They give the tune a very special atmosphere which I like a lot!
  18. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Great stuff from everybody on one cool tune! I am not thoroughly satisfied with my clip but it will have to do for now.
  19. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Tim, that was impressive!! You have quite the knack of pulling off some nice variations.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounding really good there Tim. Here's mine:

21. luurtie
    luurtie
    extravaganza... is the word I chose for you performance David, that was excellent! Tim, always that Bill Monroe in your playing style makes also a very good performance!
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much, Hendrick, and thanks for suggesting this tune, I don't think I would ever have tried it if it wasn't for you.
  23. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    OS, that was stellar. Nice interpretation and that Jacobson sounds fabulous.
  24. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Ditto to what Bob said, that was some really nice playing there and the Jacobson sounds fantastic.
  25. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Yes indeed. Fine playing and tone David. I've been enjoying everyone's version of this great tune--still trying to get it learned.
  26. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    David, I am really digging the 'Sausage Flavored' playing on this tune! Seriously, you have added some subtle nuances to the melody that I am going to try (try is the word) and pick up. I am trying daily to learn new techniques to apply to my base. Currently working on a jazz flavored 'Over the Rainbow', SAW's 'Nancy's Waltz', my weekly Bluegrass Gospel Group stuff, and still noodling with some Bach. Its coming SLOW!
    Love the Jacobson too!!
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks all. I'm looking forward to your jazzy "Over The Rainbow", Tim.
  28. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Only a month late. I grew up in Indiana and my Hoosiers made a quick exit from the NCAA tourney so I had some time to record this weekend. Played on a Hilburn A5 mandolin.

29. luurtie
    luurtie
    Way too beautiful Don! I love the way you play all those notes so fluidly!
  30. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks luurtie! Since you're a Reischman fan, have you tried Little Pine Siskin from the Walk Along John cd? I started in on that one.
  31. luurtie
    luurtie
    That a nice one too Don, I wil give it a try. It has a good drive