Logan Water

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an old Scottish song/slow air, dating from before the time of Robert Burns (who wrote a version of it). Logan Water is a small stream in South Lanarkshire.

This arrangement is by Eric Allan:

http://www.ericallanscottishmusic.co...ogan-water.pdf

I'm playing it on two mandolins, octave mandolin, mandocello and tenor guitar, at a somewhat faster speed than most as I think it suits mandolins better that way. I like the Scottish snap in this tune.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great tune, arrangement and playing, Martin. You set the bar very high! Thanks too for posting the score as I really like this one and intend to add it to my list.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well played - got me thinking hard, trying to remember where I had heard this tune before. Finally found out it was on Johnny Cunningham's "Fair Warning" CD I haven't listened to for a long time. Thanks for the heads-up.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I used two parts of the Eric Allan arrangement (melody and 2nd violin, I'd think) posted by Martin but played on octave mandolin and added chords on acoustic guitar. The video clips are not of Logan Water but just a wee burn near my home - so still a Scottish bit of water!

5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That sounds lovely, John. I like the slightly slower tempo and the lower pitch, which makes it more relaxed. The nice thing about the Eric Allan arrangements is that each part can be shifted up and down the octaves to mix up mandolin, guitar and OM/mcello parts.

Martin
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Martin and John, beautiful versions. And thanks Werner for the heads up.
    (It’s funny I seem to remember a film from the ‘60’s with this music...)

X: 1
    T: Logan Water
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Emin
    BA|:G2 E2 E2 GE|DEGE D2 BA|G2 E2 EGDE|GFGA B2 AB|
    c2 BA B2 AG|AGFE D2 GF|EFGA BdAB|1G2 E2 E2 BA:|2G2 E2 E4||
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Yes, I too printed off the pdf. Maybe give it a try.
  8. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    Maybe more People might try with some tab

https://musescore.com/user/10431581/scores/6031256

pdf from site downloadable
  9. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks for bringing this one back, I missed it the 1st time around. Played on a Sobell octave mandolin, Santa Cruz OM guitar, Wheatstone English concertina and a double bass played with a Gary Karr model Carbow.

11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Truly beautiful, David.!! Awesome arrangement. I was working on this today too - but not recording. Your photos are outstanding. Have you bought into a company or did you find a new domain ? I looked at Shutterbug but the prices were way too high.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Another stellar performance of your orchestra, David. The pictures are among the best of their kind - must remember where I have seen those.
  13. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Closed at home in Lombardy, I started playing again.
    Logan Water with an arrangement by Eric Allan that I adapted for the third voice.
    I play an eastman mandolin 504.

14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David, a very fine piece of musical creativity there (as is your norm).
    Pierpaolo, welcome from Scotland. Funny how a virus can bring us together in this awful time.
    Fine playing from Lombardy.
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Those are all great arrangements! A pleasure to listen to.

The Eastman 504 is a mandolin I'd like to try one day. I like the look and sound.
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    David and Pierpoalo -- great playing on the new performances of this revived tune. I'll have to look into updating my five-year-old video. It sounds a bit uptight compared to the more relaxed performances added since then, and the harmony is mixed too high.

Particular welcome to Pierpaolo in these troubled times for Lombardy and the world. Playing music at home is a great way of keeping sane and I expect we'll all be doing a lot of it in the coming weeks.

Martin
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Indeed great music by all.
    A warm welcome to Pierpaolo – I like your relaxed version a lot.
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Where is Lombardy, Pierpaolo.? That is a lovely version of Logan Water too. Very nice.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Welcome Pierpaolo. It should not surprise us that an Italian can demonstrate what to do with a mandolin musica rilassante e necessario
  20. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Thank you all for the welcome
    Bertram: I don't think I'm a good representative of Italian mandolin players
    Ginny: Lombardy is a region of northern Italy. Unfortunately now at the center of the epidemic. The capital is Milan and I live near Lake Garda.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Like a symphony David, well done!
    Welcome Pierpaolo S. and lovely recitation too
    Nice that you are from Lombardy -I swam in Lago di Como nearly sixty years ago, at one year old, and apparently enjoyed it.

Hope you’re doing ok.
  22. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I'd think MC should have a virtual global map and we can pin a virtual thumbtack into where everyone lives. I like to picture your country or town and Bertram I did not know you lived in Italy. Stay healthy friend.
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ginny, as far as I am aware, Bertram and Regina live in Germany, but at the moment, who cares? We all live through the SAW group. United we stand!
  24. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Four different, but great versions.
    Welcome Pierpalo!
  25. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    How are you doing Christian? Hope you're feeling better. We miss you.
  26. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I'm fine Ginny. I'm working om my next SAW tune. But I'll have to bring it up to speed.
    And that may take some time. But I hope that next week, I can publish it......
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Looking forward to your posting, Christian. This forum is giving up a lot of joy in a time of uncertainty.