Week #299 ~ Azalea Waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Azalea Waltz, which appears to be a waltz by the late Butch Baldessari. I am getting ready to hit the road, and wanted to get this posted, but I will appeal to our members to help with pointing the rest of you in the right direction!
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    There are at least two, and possibly three, tunes by that name.

1) Luurtie posted this a few weeks ago, and described it as written by Kathy Chiavola.

2) There is a 1914 recording by Clarence Penney of that name:

3) There is a Butch Baldassari tune of that name in this Homespun book.

The Penney and Chiavola tunes are certainly different, I haven't heard the Baldassari one.

Martin
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Update to my previous post: I've found a recording of the Baldassari tune, and it's clearly the same tune luurtie has recorded:

Martin
  4. luurtie
    luurtie
    The "Azalea Waltz" in the homespun book from Butch Baldassari is written by Kathy Chiavola as far as I know. Here's my version from last year.

The guitarchords I used are (With a capo on the 2nd fret)

part A: IG--IC--IBm--IEm--IBm--IEm--IAm--ID--IG--IC--IBm--IEm--IAm--ID--IG--IG--I
    part B: IC--IG--ID--IG--IC--IG--IA--ID--IG--IC--IBm--IEm--IAm--ID--IG--IG--I
    Bridge: IBes--IAm--IG#--ID#--ICm--ID#--IBes--ID--ID--I

I don't have tabs on it..
  5. jonny250
    jonny250
    really nice Luurtie
  6. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Finally an easy one for me: here is what I posted a couple of weeks ago when luurtie started a thread for this beautiful tune.
    Accompaniment is a backup track

7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two fine versions here, Martin and Hendrik. It's a very peaceful tune!
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Here is an alternative chord chart from traditional music: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/se...20-%200002.htm
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    John wrote:

"Two fine versions here, Martin and Hendrik. It's a very peaceful tune!"

John: Did you mean "Manfred" rather than "Martin"? Manfred and Hendrik are the two who have recorded the tune - and both very nicely, too! I've only posted a few links. I need to work on my ear training to pick this tune up as there are no trancriptions around and I don't own the Baldassari book.

Martin
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I have now got around to recording this beautiful tune as a duet of mandolin and tenor guitar, with the tenor taking part of the melody on the repeat. It's such a delicate tune, I've kept it very simple with a bit of an old-world waltz feeling.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  11. luurtie
    luurtie
    You played that very nice Martin, your tremolo is outstanding I also love the azaleapictures that come with the tune. good work! I cannot play the Baldassari video you posted earlier, didn't you notice the same thing?
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Hendrik, and once again thanks for pointing us towards this tune. The Baldassari video works fine for me -- it may one of those country-specific blocks that Youtube does.

I've also just come across this wonderfull Sierra Hull live performance of this tune, with Justin Moses on guitar. In her introduction she talks about learning the Baldassari "30 Fiddle Tunes For Mandolin" cover-to-cover when she was nine, and this tune being the first ever to move her to tears when she played it.

Sierra plays it quite a bit slower than Butch (and than me), but I'm pleased to see that she swaps the lead over to the guitar player at pretty much the same point that I did.

Martin
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    She plays the tune slowly, but she gets a lot of notes and feeling in there!