Week #296 ~ The Bourrée in E minor by Bach

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This weeks winner is The Bourrée in e minor by Bach made famous by Jethro Tull.

I am posting this winner in the middle of the night from my phone! I am relying on some of our other members to find and post info on this tune!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I re-post this one I did in 2010. I used Tull's syncopated rhythm (much better than the original rhythm - Bourree means "farmer's dance", after all, and Bach did it with all the four-square clumsiness associated with that trade back then), but also used Bach's tricky B-part omitted by Tull. I also tried to use some of the elderly Ian Anderson's looks, for credibility

3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I recorded this a few years ago, in two versions: on mandolin and on ukulele in mandolin tuning. As this is from one of Bach's lute suites, the uke tone is arguably more "authentic", although in either version I'm missing Bach's original bass line.

If I find a good transcription, I will try re-recording this week as a duet with either guitar or mandocello taking the lower part.

Martin
  4. crisscross
    crisscross
    You can find a version of the tune's melody in standard notation here: http://www.flutetunes.com/tunes/bach...o1-bourree.pdf
    It also includes the bass line (alas written in bass clef)
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I first heard Jethro Tull's version in 1969 but didn't realize that Ian Anderson wrote a different B part until recently. So here's my synthesis of Anderson's feel and Bach's B part. The bass part is mine, heavily influenced by the Jethro Tull version of course.

6. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great version. Swings much more than Bach's original.
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    I intended to change the strings on may tenor banjo to high tension nylons so I can tune it GDAE but didn't find the time, it's still tuned AEBFsharp. I had to put a capo on the guitar wich plays the bass line. Technically speaking it's a Bourree in f# minor. Hope that doesn't disqualify me.
    Like Jethro Tull I play it in swing eights, but unlike them unsyncopated.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    This was done as Other Tunes... Somebody copy a link... IPADS are useless for this...
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here is the thread in Other tunes.
  10. luurtie
    luurtie
    Though It's not exactly my kind of tune I heared versions I really like. With Bertram and David's swing in it and it sounds great! Anyway my compliments to all, after all you can't help my underdeveloped taste in music.
  11. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I transcribed the bass part from bass clef to treble clef since I can't read bass clef fast enough anymore. I really don't know if it is Bach's bass line or Jethro Tull's bass line but here it is, if you find mistakes, let me know:

X:1
    T:Bouree from Lute Suite #1 in Eminor - Bass Line
    C:Bach
    L:1/8
    Q:120
    M:4/4
    K:G
    GF|:E2A2B2A2 | G2F2E2F2 | G2A2B2A2 |
    G2B2EFGF | E2A2B2A2 | G2F2E2F2 | G2c2d2D2 |1 G6GF:|2 G6G2 |
    |:F2D2G2B2 | c2^G2A2d2 | e2A2e2E2 | ABAGF2D2 | G2B2c2^G2 |
    A2^c2d2^A2 | B2e2f2F2 | B^AB^c^d2B2 | e2d2^c2A2 | d2c2B2G2 |
    c2B2A2F2 | B3cBA^G2 | Aef2G^de2 | F^c^d2E2A2 | B2A2B4 |1
    E6G2:|2E8||
  12. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    It sure sounds a lot like Bach's bass line, thanks! I can't say for sure there aren't any mistakes, but in any case I think I prefer this instead of having to read from the sheet music in bass clef...
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Here's a version for classical guitar with the bass line in treble clef http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...QEwAg&dur=5532
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    A resurrection...

15. Eddie Sheehy
    With the B part...

16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I have now got around to recording a new version, arranged as a duet for mandolin (taking the melody line) and mandocello (taking the bass line). This is based on the IMSLP piano transcription (Link), using Bach's original bass line. I'm taking this at 120bpm, the speed being determined by my dexterity on the mandocello -- I can play the melody cleanly up to about 145bpm, but Bach's bass line definitely doesn't fall gently on the 'cello fretboard, with a few awkward finger twisters around.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  17. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's my version playing from the Bach from awhile back, too, on Collings mandola and Hilburn mandolin-- both now in other players' hands.

18. luurtie
    luurtie
    You play very well Don. It's sounds very clean and feels like you must have a built in metronome in your head. Keep on goin'.
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, luurtie. It's difficult to overdub without a click, so yes, I had a metronome in my head.
  20. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    After posting the wrong Bourrée years ago in the Other Tunes Bertram mentioned above, here is, hopefully, the right one.
    Crisscross, nice job, hard to play along with you though without a capo
    Don, good to see you posting more often again. Very nice arrangement and precise playing.
    I can neither compete with Bertram's looks and playing nor with the great sounds of the Hansen and Jonas bands
    I have cheated and used the bass track that is provided on the site crisscross linked to above (thanks)

Happy and healthy New Year to y'all.
  21. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great versions so far. I enjoyed them all. Now, if someone could please reproduce Glenn Cornick's Bass Solo from Tull's Stand up
    Happy New Year from Germany!
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very true to form, Manfred - I guess that is what Bach had in mind originally before Ian Anderson danced on his grave.

A Happy New Year to the SAW group!
  23. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Happy New Year everyone!! Finally got around to recording this one. I really enjoyed all the posts. I tried to swing it Hansen style. I had the most trouble with the tricky bass bit, doesn't seem to matter how much I practice those few bars they always catch me out... Makes me appreciate Martin playing that on a mandocello! I played mandolin for the melody and bass parts and played melody on an octave mandolin capoed at the 7th fret to try to give it a fuller sound. Fun time and improves fretboard awareness.

24. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Thanks to woodenfingers for transcribing the bass line -it seems to be the same as the bass from crisscross' notation. Well done everyone who did this piece.
  25. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    I'm a bit late to the party, I hope you will accept my submission anyway!

26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Excellent playing, Niavlys.
    Don't worry - we're all late for J.S. Bach's party...
  27. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That sounds excellent and absolutely right in my opinion.
    And I appreciate the free view to your fingerboard. Thx.
  28. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Thank you Bertram and Frithjof, somehow I feel like I'm recording more and more easily and with less mistakes… but the improvement is slow! And it seems I managed to get my hair out of the way without thinking about it. It probably has to do with the fact they are shorter than before…
  29. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    Gonna try to do two of these a month this year. We'll see how that works out.

Did a straight version and then one with some additions.. though did them in two takes with a splice! Cheating much? haha

30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Some additions - that's an understatement for a bold trip to harmonic realms no baroque musician played in before
    Very inventive, and suggesting more surprises to come. Looking forward to that.
  31. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Impressive variations on this piece indeed- I particularly noticed the chromatic type runs you added.
    What instrument did you use for the bass line?
  32. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job by everyone on this impressive piece of music from long ago. I thought I'd add Ian Anderson's 1969 jazz rock version just for kicks. Happy New Year to the SAW group!

33. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Monkeytroy - welcome to SAW - that was awesome!! You're one up on Bach in my book.
  34. Dobes2TBK
    Dobes2TBK
    I wanted to, I tried, I just could not get into this one. On to the next.
  35. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    Hey thanks for the nice feedback!

I jumped thru some hoops..

First downloaded the sheet music pdf from:

http://www.flutetunes.com/tunes/bach...o1-bourree.pdf using pdfTo

Next I used an app called PDFtoMusic to scan and convert the pdf to a midi file.

Then I used a free app called MuseScore (2 Beta) to import the midi version of the song.

From there I was able to play the tracks using different instruments such as the bass line and compose my modified version in the software.

When I wanted to play the bass line by itself I just muted the melody track and exported to mp3.

Easy! haha

This was the first time that I had done something like this. I've improvised on tunes but not tried to craft something specific like this. It was fun!

-Fred