Week #295 ~ The First Noel

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The winner this week is The First Noel. A song that I'm sure everyone knows! Merry Christmas!

Here's a link to standard notation and abc

Let the merriment begin!
  2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's mine from a couple of years ago.

3. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    It's taken awhile, but know I'm in the Christmas spirit.
    Thank you David. Beautiful.
    Gary
  4. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Solo mandolin
  5. Shanahan
    Shanahan
    https://soundcloud.com/mshanahan/the-first-noel

I haven't posted to the group before & I am definitely still a beginner, but I thought I'd give it a try!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    My recording is based on an arrangement for string quartet by Aurelien Solor, available at free-scores.com. I have adapted it one-for-one to a classical mandolin quartet (two mandolins, mandola, mandocello).

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    1925 Zimmermann waldzither (CGDA mandola tuning)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  7. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Welcome to the group shanahan. Great clear playing with lovely tone. Somewhat further on than a beginner I would say.
  8. Shanahan
    Shanahan
    Thanks James!
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, beautiful as always. Beautiful pics too.
    Dusty and Shanahan, nice clean picking.
    Martin, very pleasant string quartet.

I have recorded a double stop version:

10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Merry Christmas, Season Greetings, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays, or whatever your preference and persuasion, I hope things are well for you and yours.

Great playing there David; great pickin Dusty; welcome Shanahan - nice playing for a 'beginner'; Martin, another nice baroque version; Manfred, great double stops.

Our trio played this in a jewelry store the other day so I recorded it on my iphone, hence the doorbells and talking in the background. I took the pics this morning. First time the sun has been out in weeks and it was cold and frosty.

11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very pretty, woodenfingers, all instruments. I wish I was in such a trio. Just played along with you.
  12. luurtie
    luurtie
    I agree with you Mandfred, what a wonderful trio! But I love your doublestop version too! Where did you find that or is it you own composition? Also compliments for your arrangements Martin, Dusty and of course for the excellent version of David.!
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Hendrik, I am unfortunately not so creative. I have this version from "Christmas Carols for Madolin". Many of the pieces there are nicely arranged for solo mandolin with lots of chords/double stops.
  14. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

What a response - people are clearly in the festive mood already! Welcome to Shanahan, good steady playing there, and great double stops from Manfred, trio from Woodenfingers and Quartet from Martin.
    The arrangement I chose has a F#m chord; not difficult to play in isolation but very tricky to incorporate in this tune.
  15. jonny250
    jonny250
    I have a terrible internet connection here on hols in austria but have managed to enjoy each of the version posted here, david h just beautiful, but i agree that manfreds double stops version is really nice too. I love the photos and 'reality' chimes of the doorbell in your version woodenfingers all reaaly nice and Christmassy