Week #293 ~ Chicken Reel

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Chicken Reel.

From Wikipedia: "Chicken Reel" is a dance tune. It was composed by Joseph M. Daly in 1910. Joseph Mittenthal added lyrics in 1911.

Along with "Turkey in the Straw," "Chicken Reel" is probably best known for its use in early animated cartoons as a catchy tune used to represent animal activity. Originally composed as a novelty song, it has since passed into modern folk tradition. Today, the tune is usually played without the words, which would often have been sung in the minstrel style (in stereotyped African-American vernacular).

Chicken Reel was made popular again years later by Les Paul who recorded the song as a catchy instrumental, whimsically mimicking chicken sounds on his guitar.

"Chicken Reel" was arranged for symphony orchestra by Leroy Anderson; his arrangement was recorded by the Boston Pops Orchestra in 1992.

Here's abc and notation from abcnotation.com from John Chambers collection.

Here's some notation and mandolin TAB

Here are some videos. The first one says he recorded it for Mandolin Cafe's Song a Week Social Group..... (here's a link to that discussion)

2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Larry Ayers hasn't posted in awhile. Now, thanks to Barbara, he has. [top vid]
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Ok, I was the one that broke the 4-way tie when Barbara cried for help. So I might as well go first for a change.

4. luurtie
    luurtie
    Nice playing Manfred.. I thought this would be a nice tune for a rainy sundayafternoon, so here's my version. I used the Lukas Simpson-instructionmovie from above.

5. jonny250
    jonny250
    Ha, great playing you guys! get that chicken pickin' going
  6. jonny250
    jonny250
    OK, here's my chicken pickin':
    its a fun tune
  7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice arrangement and playing, and great sound, Jonny.
    luurtie, super playing and nice version
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Well done guys! I couldn't resist this one. We used to raise chickens and they are a lot of fun. Tasty too, and free-range eggs are the best. Liz had her favourites. She would carry Henny Penny around the garden. Also, a fellow in our jam sessions loves singing Ghost Chickens in the Sky (tune of Riders in the Sky - with lots of crowing), so now I have something to answer him with...

9. luurtie
    luurtie
    That was funny.. Very entertainig an well played Bob! Jonny you did a good job too. Do you like the Weber octave mandolin? It sounds very nice, but I can imagine that it doesn't play as easy as a mandolin with those heavy strings...
  10. jonny250
    jonny250
    Thanks guys. Hendrik I love the Weber Octave - it is insanely loud but has a really nice tone too. it took me a lot of effort to set it up right for me, and its the stretch that really gets the fingers. I'm playing it a lot at the moment as i'm trying to get my irish tunes up to speed and its a good workout. but i really need to play smoother and get that flow that you seem to naturally have - i do enjoy your videos.