Week #291 Nora Marshall's

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Looks like this week’s winner is Nora Marshall’s. I’m not coming up with much information on the tune. If you’re familiar with this one, feel free to post ABC notation, tab, and video examples.
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I don't know the tune either, but apparently it's a schottische, and the first tune in this video:

It's not on ABC tune finder, which I have to say is a first for me -- if an ABC exists, it's usually on there. Indeed, I can't find any source at all other than that Youtube video, which makes me suspect the tune has been misindentified by the uploader of the video. Does it sound familiar to anybody else?

Martin
  3. Francis J
    Francis J
    I can't find it any place in the Irish traditional music archives, and as you say Martin, I think the tune on your video is misidentified. perhaps it's a Scottish tune?
  4. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    I suggested the tune, and like you all I haven't found anything else than this video. I'm thinking it might be an original, maybe from the accordion player here? As for the ABC, I'm currently making one, I'll be posting it soon.
  5. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Here is my recording of the tune. I learned it some time ago, but didn't record it until today. The ABC is coming soon.

6. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    And here is the ABC. I'm not sure I have the rhythm perfectly right (it's my first time messing with these ">", "<", "z" and "(3..."), but it seems good enough. I guess it's better to rely on the video to understand the rhythm though.

The tune is repeated with a key change (from G to A). I included it in the ABC because I used abcConverter so it was very simple and fast ito transpose the notes, but it is the exact same melody, just transposed up two semitones.

X: 1
    T:Nora Marshall's Scottische
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    T:75
    K:G
    |:D<B,D2 E<CE2 D<B,D>GB3 d | c>BA>G F>EF>G (3ABA (3GFE D4 |
    | D<B,D2 E<CE2 D<B,D>GB3 d | c>BA>G F>DE>F |1 (3GBd (3gdB G4 :|2 G2 g2 G2 z>e|
    |:d<B G>AB2 z>e|d<B G>AB2 (3zAB | c>BA>G F>EF>G (3ABA (3GFE D2 z>e|
    | d<B G>AB2 z>e|d<B G>AB2 (3zAB | c>BA>G F>DE>F |1 (3GBd (3gdB G2 z>e :|2 G2 g2 G4||
    K:A
    |:E<CE2 F<DF2 E<CE>Ac3 e | d>cB>A G>FG>A (3BcB (3AGF E4 |
    | E<CE2 F<DF2 E<CE>Ac3 e | d>cB>A G>EF>G |1 (3Ace (3aec A4 :|2 A2 a2 A2 z>f|
    |:e<c A>Bc2 z>f|e<c A>Bc2 (3zBc | d>cB>A G>FG>A (3BcB (3AGF E2 z>f|
    | e<c A>Bc2 z>f|e<c A>Bc2 (3zBc | d>cB>A G>EF>G |1 (3Ace (3aec A2 z>f :|2 A2 a2 A4|
  7. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    A bit of searching suggests there was a Nora "Marshall" McMahon playing fiddle in the Kilfenora Ceili band in the first half of the 20th Century, so I think this must be part of their repertoire. Good find Niavlys and really well played. It's not too hard to work out by ear - I was just trying to find out how to notate scotch snaps in abc but you beat me to it!
  8. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Meant to add, the tune is quite similar to Buck On The Mountain too.
  9. luurtie
    luurtie
    The difficulty and fun is in keeping the melody but the changing key the second round I think ... But you did very well Niavlys, good technique and a good tone! Excellent performance.
  10. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Thanks guys! It took some practicing... But concerning the key change I think it's optional, maybe it's better to concentrate on the tune without it. And concerning the ABC, it looks like I should have simply used the "R: hornpipe" option, apparently it creates the syncopated rhythm without bothering with the > and <.
    Yes it seems the first part is the same as the first part of Buck On The Mountain (a.k.a. The Minstrel's Fancy, The Hanover…): http://thesession.org/tunes/2761 The second part seems quite different though.
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    What a cool tune. It's good to have a schottische for a change. The first time through is on the concertina but don't worry the mandolin comes in for the second time. I was too lazy for the modulation plus I like it in G better.

12. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    That's great, David! Well done. I was too lazy to add a backup but it's definitely a great addition.
  13. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Niavlys, Well done in both playing and transcribing... There's no way I could write that abc down and get the correct timing!! I didn't know about the <, >, or R: hornpipe either so something new for me to try to remember.

David, you definitely have the schottische knack. It will be a while before I can play it.

BTW: What are the other 2 tunes that Kilfenore play? I recognize them but can't name them.
  14. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

This one was not as easy as you might think- so well done Niavlys specially for the key change which I couldn't cope with.
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Rozawood OM-2