Week #288 ~Itchy Fingers

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week there was a tie, so I just flipped a coin, and the winner is Itchy Fingers, which was submitted as a fiddle tune.

Here's a You Tube Video:

Here's the standard notation and abc on abcnotation.com
  2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Here is my version (without the third section they play in the video as it is not in the abc notation)
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one Maudlin, and congratulations on being the first poster! A whole week and no responses. Here is my attempt - since I voted for the tune I feel obliged to offer a version! It is a well-known pipe tune here in Scotland. Played on my octave, tenor guitar and acoustic guitar, all self-built.

4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very good John. Is that your Octave in the starting picture without any strings or frets?
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, M. The picture is the octave I played the tune on and is from when I was building it. It does have the frets fitted, including the zero fret. This instrument came about by accident, as I had made a fingerboard for a 540mm scale-length instrument I was going to make and then realised that I had put the position dots in the wrong places! Each was a space out, so rather than scrap the board I cut it off behind the first fret, leaving enough for the zero fret, and had a scale length of 510mm and dots in the correct places. I thought this would let me try a mandola for a change and this was what I built, but I strung it with octave strings and it is in this tuning at present, as you hear on the clip. Happy days!
  6. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Here's mine:

I learned this 2-part version from this: http://www.tunearch.org/wiki/Itchy_Fingers
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very good picking there.
  8. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Thanks, nice picking on your side too, lovely backup variations!
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Niavlys, that's incredibly smooth - yet very fast - picking. I am stunned at how you got there in such a short time.
    Very nice multiple-instrument clean playing, John
    Sounding good, maudlin
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice job from everyone who tackled this song. Thanks
  11. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Three great sounding versions so far, sorry I'm "late on parade" but here's my banjo version of this pipe tune.

Only just noticed (following maudlin's comment) the video in the original post seems to have a third part, although it's only played once so I wonder if its just some improvisation or interlude?

Niavlys - the version you linked to seems slightly different in the B part, I'm off to study that next!