Week #281 ~ The Clumsy Lover

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Clumsy Lover, which was suggested as a Scottish Reel. I'm not familiar with it. It appears there's also a jig by the same name!

Here's a You Tube Video:

Here's a link to the tune on thesession.org, where it has 4 settings.

For grins, here's the link to thesession.org's page on this tune in it's jig variation.
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's The Clumsy Lover & The Contradiction Reel as played by
    Neal Pointon & Ciaran Algar and the band Tri.

3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This tune sounds great on the pipes, good on the fiddle but maybe not so good on the mandolin? Here's my try, once through on 4 parts in a non traditional arrangement.

4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Brilliant David - the calypso version. I quickly got bored playing this tune and had decided not to post but you've done something special with it. I might have a rethink.
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's great, it's like surf meets celtic.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    So fun and creative, David. That's great!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks David for implanting the picture of Harry Belafonte (dancing past in a banana skirt) in my head...
  8. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Pretty great, David!
  9. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    David inspired me so here is my take. I'm sure I could tidy this up a bit with more time spent on it - including the piano - but I think I agree with David - probably best left for the Scottish pipes. Especially so in this historic week for Scotland with the Independence referendum just 3 days away (now now, no politics).

Played on my Eastman 815 and piano.

10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good James, especially with those strums in the second round.
    We just can make the best of the instruments at hand - an all too easy step towards the pipes would have been a kazoo track, but I'm not sure it would have been an improvement
  11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

This piece is not as easy as it first appears, so well done David and James. Here it is in 4 parts- the best I could do.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Learnt this one a couple of weeks ago, got a wee bit of ornamentation and variations together today.

13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ha, Jill, I get the impression the monkey isn't enjoying the first-hand experience
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    And my dog didn't enjoy the fact that I nicked his toy monkey to put in the pot of the banjo but it works a treat to muffle the sound a wee bit so my non-musical neighbors don't complain!
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great to see and hear you posting again, Jill. Still playing as well as ever too. Happy New Year from Scotland.
  16. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I enjoyed that Jill. Great job. I hope my trebles sound that smooth someday.
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers lads and a very Happy New Year to you all!
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So wonderful to see and hear you here in the group again, Jill! That was wonderful, as always!
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks Barbara! I've had a hectic past few years, so nice to get some time to focus and play banjo and mandolin again! I've a '27 Gibson Ajr arriving on Wednesday - can't wait!!
  20. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    AAHHH. Now it's a good start to a New Year.
    Welcome home Jill.
  21. JL277z
    JL277z
    Nice picking, looks like a fun tune!
  22. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow, how I love the way you play that tenor Banjo! thanks for posting!