Week #277 ~ Dixie Hoedown

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I love that Jimmy Gaudreau.
  3. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    David, Mr. Gaudreau ranks high on my list as well. I loved the work he did with the Tony Rice Unit.
    I watched this clip earlier this morning while drinking coffee. I thought to myself that MAYBE just maybe I'll get there someday. Unbelievable talent. I can only hope and work extra extra hard.
  4. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    I dunno, I thought Frank stole the show on that one. The crosspicking Jimmy did was pretty amazing, but that rosewood Lewis just sounds amazing in Frank's hands.
  5. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Marty, I loved all of it. Frank Solivan ate it up for sure. Crosspicking is something I try to do. The right hand control needed to make it work takes much discipline, a discipline that I struggle to maintain. I think it sounds really well integrated into a song much like Gaudreau does here, where it 'breaks up' the picking. Adds spice to the recipe if you will!
    BTW, great job on your mandolins. I would love to have a chance at playing one sometime. I just started building so wish me luck!
  6. luurtie
    luurtie
    Here's my version. I used flatpick apprentice Dave's guitartrack, they're so useful by practising such tunes.

7. Dan Krhla
    Dan Krhla
    luurtie that was $&@%# brilliant! Sweeeet pickin'!
  8. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Really nice luurtie. Clean and fluid picking. Can't get much better.
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Mighty fine luurtie!
  10. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Always impressed with your clean, fast, minimal effort technique Luurtie - a real Joy!

My attempt:

11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice mandolin and guitar work James. Here's my version also backed up with my Simon & Patrick guitar. That's my 80s Kentucky mandolin playing the melody...

12. luurtie
    luurtie
    Hey Michael, that was a very original version with lots of variations incl. cross-picking an a climax in the end. I like it. You sound very good too James you did nice work with the video overlays. It takes a lot of time to do that I know.
    Thanks for all the compliments people it's always a reason to keep my enthousiasm
  13. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Here's my try
  14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played by Amandalyn!
  15. jonny250
    jonny250
    wow you guys are flying through this one some really nice takes on this tune!
    here is my attempt:
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice one Jonny, and some great versions from everyone this week. Here's mine:

17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done Jonny.

And some very smooth, very cool picking from Old Sausage. Excellent job!
  18. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing on this tune by everyone! I've been checking in here to listen and watch, but haven't had time to participate lately. Thought I'd drop in and post a video this week.

Here's some ideas I came up with but they're not up to speed yet.

19. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I am thoroughly enjoying each offering this week. Great variety of flavors. This enables each of us to glean from the other. Love it!!

20. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Wow, that was really cool Don. It's always nice when you drop in for a visit and to show us something really neat.
    Sasquatch, great picking and some really excellent ideas. I'm with you this week we have quite a treasure trove of different styles and ideas to pick and choose from to build that ultimate killer version of the Dixie Hoedown. Every video has something to offer... well done everybody.
  21. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Michael, for the warm welcome back. I appreciate that. I always steal a little something from everyone's playing on these tunes, especially yours and OS (the old timers still here). But lots to dig into from all the videos for this tune for sure.

I've been enjoying your Monroe-style playing, Sasquatch. Good stuff!
  22. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

I agree with Don - there have been some great but varied contributions this week. However I feel a tune by Jesse McReynolds ought to have some crosspicking so extra kudos and bonus marks to Sasquatch for including a section.
    This is an arrangement by Rick Williams and I have added his harmony part the second time through.
  23. jonny250
    jonny250
    some more really nice versions there - well done! i agree with you Maudlin, the cross-picking is nice in this.
    for the Folkies, try playing Flowers of Edinburgh along to this tune... it sort of works...
  24. vicstylz
    vicstylz

Here's my go at it.
    -Victor
  25. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Haven't posted much lately. Too busy to get the mic and stuff out. Sure a lot of tough acts to follow on this one too, especially after Luurtie set off at such a high level. As previously noted, there's a lot of variations and styles. I had fun with it too but as usual I get a crash and burn when the tape is rolling so I kept it somewhat simple. I don't know how you guys either remember where you are going or you quickly dig yourselves out of holes you get into...

[mp3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=123075&d=1408895786[/mp3]