Week #275 ~ Don't Think Twice, It's Alright!

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by overwhelming majority, is Don't Think Twice, It's Alright! This was just suggested in the "Poll Tune Suggestions"... and here were the videos linked:

Ok, I want to hear some singing!!!!
  2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Here's the Romanian version. I once had the first verse down quite OK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHSPB9KyIuc
  3. jonny250
    jonny250
    Great stuff crisscross, i take it that's you?
    im pleased to see this one win and defo looking forward to seeing peoples interpretations...

Here's what i found for the chords and words:
    G D Em
    It ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
    C G D
    If you don't know by now
    G D Em
    An' it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
    A7 D D7
    It don't matter, anyhow

G G7
    When your rooster crows at the break of dawn
    C A7
    Look out your window and I'll be gone
    G D Em C
    You're the reason I'm trav'lin' on
    G D G D
    Don't think twice, it's all right

It ain't no use in turnin' on your light, babe
    That light I never knowed
    An' it ain't no use in turnin' on your light, babe
    I'm on the dark side of the road
    Still I wish there was somethin' you would do or say
    To try and make me change my mind and stay
    We never did too much talkin' anyway
    So don't think twice, it's all right

It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
    Like you never did before
    It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
    I can't hear you any more
    I'm a-thinkin' and a-wond'rin' all the way down the road
    I once loved a woman, a child I'm told
    I give her my heart but she wanted my soul
    But don't think twice, it's all right

I'm walkin' down that long, lonesome road, babe
    Where I'm bound, I can't tell
    But goodbye's too good a word, gal
    So I'll just say fare thee well
    I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind
    You could have done better but I don't mind
    You just kinda wasted my precious time
    But don't think twice, it's all right
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Thanks for the chords Johnnie. Here they are on a Savannah, double tracked for lead and rythmn.

5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Well done Maudlin for being quick off the mark and not sounding like Bob Dylan. Whilst I was practising my son accused me of sounding like Bob Dylan (I wish). So I cut the American accent and ended up with something rather down beat ( you could say maudlin?).
    It fades out, but not a moment too soon. I need to work on my improvisation. I basically ran out of ideas rather quickly and went into the realms of mindless noodling. I have spared you that dear viewers!

6. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Loving this song. Like all the versions! David, I especially like your mando break. Nice stuff.
    I haven't done a song in a while but this one is tempting me. Between mandolin building and group playing, I have been a little swamped. Loving it though. May just have to do this one!
  7. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Three nice versions guys.
    I remember doing this song solo in front of about a thousand people 48 years ago.
    How time flies as you get old. I also did 'Eve of Distruction' and another Dylan song
    about death and suicide that I can't think of the title right now.
    I brought the house down. Literally.
    Luckily there were other performers with a little lighter fare.
    Guess I was 'Original Goth'.
    At least I grew into a happy and good humored adult.
    Well, gotta go. I need to practice 'Pretty Paulie' for a little show tomorrow.
    Gary
  8. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I knew Tony Rice HAD to have a version of this tune. It had him written all over it. The Rice Brothers did this one. The late Larry Rice does some awesome mandolin work on this uptempo variety. Enjoy!
  9. justkaron
    justkaron
    Fantastic instrumentation on the 'Rice' version.
    Wasn't too crazy about how Tony changed up the lyrics. Dylan's lyrics were topnotch as they were...didn't need changing, IMO.

Loved hear all of the SAW folks versions.

Keep 'em coming!

Karon
  10. jonny250
    jonny250
    Waay to go guys! Mauldin a fine effort there with your own variation - that mandolin looks like a classic?
    James i enjoyed your mellow version and with some really nice singing.
    David that was great - your guitarring and singing sounded great and the mando break was cool
    I've played this song a whole load in the last few days [cause its totally got into my head!] - so here is my attempt with octave and mandolin plus band in a box bass.
    I havent quite worked out the 7th's in the breaks, but this seems like a good song to learn on
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hey look, I'm back.

12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done. Somebody's got to show us how it's done and you are my favorite candidate. We've missed you.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks David - and big thanks to you for your wonderful contributions every week, and to everyone else for keeping this fine institution in the good shape it's in.
  14. jonny250
    jonny250
    Very nicely done OS - lots of nice licks in there that i will have to try to borrow
  15. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    It's been a while but I'm back too! What a lot of nice versions of this tune! I'm glad there's still a lot of activity on this forum. We play "Don't think twice" with our band, so I searched for a recent video en found this little piece with my mandolinsolo..

16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work, Hendrik, and good harmony singing too.
  17. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    David & Hendrick, make that three for the returns!

18. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Here is my mine:

19. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow Timothy, you're not only a very good mandolinplayer but your singing is excellent. I didn't know that. Niavlys, you get a very nice tone out of that kentucky mandolin. Wel done!
  20. PaulBills
    PaulBills
    I've got the Rhonda Shepherd version of this somewhere off of Ally McBeal, reckon I'll try it now...

[edit] Vonda, not Rhonda...Rhondda is the valleys in Wales where my ancestors are from lol
  21. crisscross
    crisscross
    I have a friend from Bucarest who once desperately tried to teach me the basics of his native tongue. Her are the results: https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/nu-i-nimic-asta-e
  22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bump
  23. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Another resurrected tune

24. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fine rhythm mando and singing! The melodic parts are also nice, Mark!
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I do agree with crisscross.
    My apologies, Mark. I remember watching your video but can’t tell you why I let wait you for a comment such a long time.
  26. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks fellows, it was a fun exercise. I'm partial to Dylan tunes.