Week #274 ~ Maggie Brown's Favorite

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner by a landslide, is Maggie Brown's Favorite, which was submitted as an O'Carolan tune.

The Session says that it's also known as Bunch Of Clover, The Bunch Of Clover, Maggie Brown’s, Maggie Brown’s Fancy, Maggie Brown’s Favorite, Maggie Browne’s, Maggie Browne’s Fancy, Margrett Brown’s Favourite, Miss Brown’s Fancy, Miss Browne’s, Miss Browne’s Fancy, Miss Browns Fancy, Miss Margaret Brown’s Favourite, Planxty Brown, Planxty Browne, Planxty Maggie Brown, Sweet Maggie Brown, Trip To Gorey!

Reading in the comments section on the Session, there seems to be some debate as to it's origin, and I don't find it on the O'Carolan sites!

Here is a link to the notation and abc on The Session. There are 4 settings on that site.

Here's a link to more abc.

And another!

Here's a you tube video:

2. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Planxty Browne from O'Neill's Music of Ireland
  3. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    dusty, that was great! I'll have my go in a few days.

f-d
  4. Fishguy
    Fishguy
    My fingers did not want to do this one. But I beat them into submission (enough) to get one decent take...
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Excellent example for the David Hansen Band and, as always, a hard act to follow.
    Also very good job by Fishguy.
    Dusty, keep up the clean picking.
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Well done Dusty Fishguy and David. Although the first part is a jolly little tune the second is a bit of a fingerbuster.
    Here is my attempt.
  7. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    my 58 seconds of recklessness! Fun tune!

take 1

f-d
  8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for this dose of recklessness. Great picking.
    I am still timid
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Hi folks,
    after listening to your great versions on high-quality-mandolins, I hardly dare to present my unsecure rendition on my modest tenor banjo. Well, I'm a recent DUD DUD-convert when it comes to jig-triplets, so I at least wanted to grab the opportunity to practise this way of playing triplets a bit. https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/maggie-browns-favourite
  10. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    crisscross, that was great!

f-d
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks fatt-dad. Well ,I'm not at the point, where DUD DUD has become second nature yet, but I'm working on it. Nice tune anyway.
    Your mando sounds and looks great, nice playing !
  12. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    After many issues with my Internet connection, I was finally able to upload my version! Here it is:

Great submissions from you all. Thanks for introducing this great tune to me.
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I didn't quite manage to record this tune in the actual week when it was current, but at least I'm only one day late. Here is my version, based on a very nice four-part harmony arrangement for contradance band by our own Evelyn (harper) -- thanks, Evelyn! I think the bassline on mandocello works quite nice.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Recorded this tune last week.
    But after listening to all your great, clean and fast renditions I was embarrassed to post mine. Thought to do a better recording the next days. Due to a lack of time (and my limited abilities) that isn’t possible. So here it is on two mandolins in a row.