Week #268 Summertime by Gershwin

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This week's winner is Summertime, composed by Gershwin for his 1935 Opera, Porgy and Bess.
    Nigel Gatherer offers chords, tab, midis, and background on his site.
    Chords and tips...
    http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/t...ime/stim2.html
    Tab #1...
    http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/t...ime/stim3.html
    Tab #2...
    http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/t...ime/stim4.html
    Background...
    http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab5/stim1.html

Hard to beat Doc Watson and David Grisman...

Here's more great ideas...

From the Dave Holodiloff Jazz Trio...

From Mundesse with Nathan King on mandolin...

From a coffee house jam with Eryn Eubanks on mandolin...

From the Philidelphia Mandolin Ensemble...

Here's Mike Marshall and a fun group from 2004's mandolin symposium...

Here's the Munier Mandolin Orchestra...
  2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I really like these guys. We all know what Don Julin can do and I'm really impressed with this young lad Billy Strings that Don's hooked up with.

3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Lots of mandolin pickin' in this one...

4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I voted for it so I figured I should give it a try.

5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It speaks! David has a voice! And he has the Blues - this will shatter my image of the stoic Scandinavian/Scottish cold/windy/northern instrumentalist for ever...
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You've certainly got the feel for this music, David. From your very cool intro to your final chord, I love it!
  7. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Enjoyed yours David! I'm adding tremolo right now to the list of things I need to practice.

I vote for the SOTW most weeks and don't get around to posting anything but feeling particularly guilty this week as there haven't been many other attempts so far. I thought it would be fun to try a mandolin or tenor banjo "chord melody" of Summertime but is proving harder than I thought! I will persevere, and in the meantime permit me to submit an old fingerstyle guitar version of mine:

PS there was a (BBC?) documentary on Summertime a few months ago, I think they quoted there were something like 60,000 recording of Summertime?
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    You're a real master of the fingerstyle Mike - that was really good.
    Is that a particularly small classical guitar or have you put on a few pounds?
  9. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand

Sadly I can only correct you on 2/3 of your assumptions.

It IS a particularly small guitar (a Brook Creedy, 12.5" lower bout).

I HAVE put on a few pounds (I need to lose about 3kg to get my BMI in the right ballpark).

The one thing I can correct you on is that the Brook Creedy is actually a steelstring acoustic (12-fret slothead parlour), rather than classical.
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's my version of Summertime for mandolin with guitar backup. I've played this song for many years, however this is the first time I've recorded it with a mandolin. The mandolin is my Kentucky and the backup guitar is my Bauer parlor guitar built around 1900.

Great job David and I like your vocals too! Mike, just gotta love those small bodied guitars. So much sound in such a small package! Well done.

11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That version was worth the wait, Michael. What incredibly smooth and expressive playing.
  12. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Really good job Michael!

I hope my Brook sounds as good as your Bauer in 100 years time (and also that I'm still around to be playing it, though that is probably over-optimistic).
  13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I wonder who has owned my guitar over the years. It was just blind luck that I found it. The bridge is a reconstruction of the original which had split thru the peg holes (and the reason I was able to trade another guitar to get it). Everything else is original. This guitar is really delicate and lightweight. It truly is a parlor guitar in that it never leaves the house. We'll never know how our instruments will sound in a hundred years, we can only hope they'll last that long and go to a good home when we no longer require them... Mike, I'd bet that your Brook will sound even more fantastic than it does now.