J. Bovier F5 T

1. capnrory
    capnrory
    I have played guitar for 50 years, and while I had an entry level mandolin about ten years ago, I sold it as I wasn't into the tone, nor did I have the time to dedicate to learning mandolin. A month ago I bought my Bovier F5 T model, and I sure am learning to play in a hurry. At 63 years of age I have no delusions about attaining expert skills with it, but I really like the tone on this mandolin, and there is a magic in acquiring an instrument that inspires one to learn and progress.
  2. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Couldn't agree more. At 59, I feel the same way about my A5 T. Us geezers gotta stick together for support, right? Enjoy that beauty!
  3. lflngpicker
    lflngpicker
    I just bought mine. It is the A5 special. I am looking forward to its arrival.
  4. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Welcome to the JB family! Hope we didn't beat you over the head to much to convince you These things are rely surprisingly nice, forget about "for the price"jua good mandolin!
  5. lflngpicker
    lflngpicker
    Hey Michael and Capnrory, I too am 59 (I will be on the 20th) and I agree about sticking together. I agree Michael-- a good mando is a good mando. No qualification is needed. You didn't twist my arm, but between you, Larry and a couple others, I received a lot of good info which led me to making my decision. You were the first to respond that day! Thanks.
  6. mandobassman
    mandobassman
    You always hope when you're making recommendations that if someone takes your advice, that what that person buys turns out to be what they hoped for. I sincerely hope that's the case for you. However, I've heard and played 5 JBs so far and they all have performed well beyond what the price would suggest. There's always the possibility of a dud, but I have not heard one bad word about the newer models yet. Mine came directly from J Bovier and Jeff Cowherd did the setup. the action was quite a bit lower than I like so I had to raise it a bit, but other than that, I haven't done a thing. I hear that the set up from the Mando Shop is first rate as well. Can't wait to hear your review.
  7. lflngpicker
    lflngpicker
    Thanks Mandobassman-- Kyle stated that this particular mandolin he sold me was particularly pretty, especially the back's flame maple. He said it had a great sound and he enjoyed playing it. He spoke as though he hated to part with it and that his spouse said it was a particularly nice looking one. I take full responsibility for considering your input and deciding based on my own research and considering all other options new and used, and venders as well. It is always a best guess when buying online, but this seemed to be a pretty strong decision based on all the information I gathered. Thanks friend!
  8. MrREM
    MrREM
    Just purchased my first Bovier and at the age of 66 joining the group that I'll never make a great player but enjoy the unit. I'm the proud owner of the F5T. I also own a Breedlove A model. The Bovier has picked up quite a few compliments for the beauty as well as for sound. The sustain is simply amazing as well as fit and finish and comfort of play. This unit was purchased from The Mando Shop and Kyle has done a great job of setting it up for me. Nice people to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Bovier it's money well spent.
  9. texaspaul
    texaspaul
    I just took deliver of my 2nd J Bovier, a F5-T Black face. It has started strong and I look forward as it develops a mature tone. It already has a nice balanced tone with sustain using open chords, clear, clean notes with strong closed chord precussive chop.
    My first was a A5-X , it took 6-9 months of steady strong playing to begin to open up and I expect about the same from tge F5-T.
    Jeff selected one for me out of a recent batch and put a custom label in it with my Granffather's name in it. My Grandfather played fiddle and guitar in dance bands in Kentucky. He was my inspiration for learning to play music, plus wanting to praise my Lord Jesus with music.
  10. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Congrats on the new Black-top! I really like the look of those. Just different enough to look interesting. Look forward to pics and sound clips, maybe?