One killer mandolin

1. Brian scott
    Brian scott
    Should have my vintage F5 back in couple weeks. I can't wait. Don does some amazing work.
  2. Brian scott
    Brian scott
    Dons had my RD for a few weeks
    now and I've been playing my Duff. It's a good mandolin but doesn't really compare to my RD F5. I can't wait to get it back. I'm having a flat finger board put on it.
  3. Col George
    Col George
    I have a Vintage (1923 July 9 voiced )Red DIamond no. 251 . what is the voicing of yours & the no.??
    I also just bought Johnny Staats Red Diamond standard. Don is doing some work on it for me now.
  4. Brian scott
    Brian scott
    My mandolin is not voiced after one particular mandolin. Don did a study of several early 20's mandolins and took all the numbers and averaged them out and made the Vintage F5. I love the July 9 voicing. Out of all the differnt voicing the July 9 is my favorite. All his mandolins sound amazing. I'd like to have one of each!!!!!!
  5. Col George
    Col George
    Me too!! I can't wait to get the Johnny Staats RD
  6. Col George
    Col George
    a friend of mine has a "Crusher voiced " RD for sale a temptation for sure !!!
  7. Brian scott
    Brian scott
    My good friend Wendy Miller has a Crusher voiced mandolin that is awesome. He also just had Don build him a July 9 mandolin. I havent played that one yet but Wendy tells me it amazing.
  8. Col George
    Col George
    Wendy Miller is one serious mandolin player. I remember when he played with Larry Sparks,, Glad he likes Red Diamonds.
  9. John Gardinsky
    John Gardinsky
    Howdy fellas. I have #114 Standard F, #188 Vintage 22 A, and #193 Vintage 24 F. I bought them all used. I am the second owner of #193, the first owner only had it for 6 months. I am the third owner of #188, it most recently belonged to a good friend and mentor that passed away. I am not sure who had #114 before me but I believe it was some one in Pa. I have to say I'm very satisfied with these mandolins. They perform liked what you'd want them to.
  10. John Gardinsky
    John Gardinsky
    Hey Col. George what's the going rate for a used Standard model these days?
  11. Col George
    Col George
    I would think around $7500 depending on history & condtion, sound etc .. I must say I have never heard a Red Diamond I didn't like !! How would you compare your RD STd with the Vintage 24 ??
  12. John Gardinsky
    John Gardinsky
    The standard is less brash, it has a warmer tone, very nice but not as loud and in your face. It also has the slightly wider neck and lacquer finish. The maple on it is beautiful, very curly. I feel most at home on the Vintage 24 and 22. They have the headroom available when I really start to dig in and beat them.
  13. Col George
    Col George
    The Staats Red Diamond std that I have purchased has a varnish finish.. I am really looking forward to playing it some.. Don & Johnny assure me that it is a great instrument.. It will be interesting to contrast it with the 23 July 9. Don is fitting the work into his busy schedule, so I have to wait a while !!! He is doing some finish repair & re attaching the pick guard