Week #255 ~ Phantom Whistler (Sunshine Hornpipe)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Phantom Whistler, also known as Sunshine Hornpipe. I'm not familiar with this tune.

If the person who suggested this can give me some help, that would be great.

I found this on thesession.org for The Sunshine (Hornpipe).

I found this on abcnotation.com

I found this you tube video:

2. luurtie
    luurtie
    The tune is called "The Sunshine Hornpipe". The McCalmans made a beautiful version and called it "The Phantom Whistler" I contacted Ian McCalman last year, but he couldn't tell me why they gave it that name in 1978. It was on the LP "Burn the Witch" which we bought after a concert in Holland. Hamish Bayne played the concertina. He's a concertinamaker nowadays.

Please take a listen, it's so beautiful,

I made a quick recording when I suggested this tune last year, but hope to make a better one.

3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nicely played, Hendrik. I remembered that one from when you did it a year ago. Can't wait to hear your new version.
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    I expect they called it Phantom Whistler because of the tin whistle which comes in on the second part. The traditional music version is in Eb and 12/8 time. Does this make it a slide rather than a hornpipe?
  5. luurtie
    luurtie
    Here it is Marcelyn, I hope I have improved my playing a bit. I tried to add some tinwhistle, but it's awfully difficult to play on a whistle.. the recording sounds brighter, that's for sure.

6. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great job, Hendrik. I am amazed how you can pick so fast by just flexing your fingers and hardly moving your wrist.
  7. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    All you hardcore song-a-weekers are a dedicated bunch. This is one of the best groups on the cafe if you ask me!
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I must have missed your new version when it went up earlier this week, Hendrik. Really nice picking, and it is a lot smoother. It's so rewarding when you can see a year's practice is paying off.
  9. luurtie
    luurtie
    Thanks for the compliments. I must have been practising this tune sinds I started with the mandolin about 6 years ago. It was in my head sinds I was a child. I hope to hear more versions the coming weeks... It's already thursday! A version in the key of A might be a bit more logical on the mandolin though.
  10. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Congratulations Hendrick on mastering such a difficult piece. I am not surprised at the lack of posting- this is the best I can do in a week.
  11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    I did not want to let you 2 brave guys down. Good effort maudlin. I know what you mean. As I am now also practicing stuff for the jams I have been going to recently, it has become ever more difficult to record something decent in time.
    So here goes:
  12. luurtie
    luurtie
    That was great Manfred! You nailed this one. I know this tune is by far not the easiest, but you play it real smooth. Maudlin you did very well too, I was afraid to be left alone with my tune last week. Way to go guys!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Absolute cracker, Hendrik. Great blend of mando and guitar, and your right hand is a joy to watch! Maudlin, congratulations on a fine effort there and Manfred, you made a really good job of your version too. As has been said, not the easiest and one I have so far given the swerve to! Well done the three of you.
  14. Blombie
    Blombie
    Here's a link to Traditional music UK.
    Lhttp:/www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/irish-mandolin-tab/pdf/sunshine_hornpipe_mandolin_tabs.pdf

Looks like a fun tune
  15. Blombie
    Blombie
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ir...dolin_tabs.pdf

here it is again without the L in front
  16. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    "Here's a link to Traditional music UK."
    ??????????????????????????????????????
    "Looks like a fun tune"
    Yes it is.
  17. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Great job Luurtie nice speed this song was not easy for me at all and took me a while to get this recording
    Maudlin I enjoyed your playing playing and version also
    Manfred you really played clean I had to practice over yours a few hundred times
  18. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Obiwan. Great tone.
    I feel honored that you practiced over MY playing.
  19. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wonderful playing Obiwan! It didn't take you too long...