Week #252 ~ Memories of Father Angus

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week was a close one... the winner by one vote is Memories of Father Angus. I'm not familiar with this tune! Research indicates it's also called Memories of Father Angus MacDonnell.

The Session calls it a barndance.... here is the link to the notation and abc.

Here's a You Tube video on a mandolin...

2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my try on my Sobell mandolin, Sobell octave mandolin, concertina and doumbek.

3. jonny250
    jonny250
    Good job David, that sounded really nice!
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Cool! I like the percussion!
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two good versions so far! Wonder who the anonymous player in Barbara's demo video is?
    David, a very catchy version and I like your pace.
  6. luurtie
    luurtie
    I was a bit dissapointed that no-one chose my favorite song "Colleen Malone", but when I heard you play this tune David I fell in love with the melody and the story behind it. I made a quick recording (quiet, everyone's asleep here on Sunday morning) a bit faster than David's beautiful version.
    https://soundcloud.com/luurtieful/me...f-father-angus
  7. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    David's fantastic version got me onto working on this. Am I the only one who had to google doumbek?
    Really spirited version from Luurtie. I can't match that tempo.
    I've dusted down the piano for this one. If you are feeling a bit guilty about that custom mande Mandola that doesn't get played much you should try having a grand piano staring at you angrily in your front room!

8. luurtie
    luurtie
    That a nice combination and good playing James! This is a nice tempo too. I think mine was a little too fast for this tune, but we shouldn't all sound the same I figured
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Once again a terrific arrangement, David. Your backup playing just drives the heck out of this tune and gives it life!
    Luurie, that was a nice, simple arrangement that works very well. The tempo was a good one too.
    James, excellent job of arranging, recording and playing. Your version was oh so Scottish to these California ears. (I sold my neglected upright grand to a fellow musician and friend. I swear that piano gives me a grateful look every time I go over to her house... )
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent versions, I really liked all of them, and learned mine by listening to David Hansen, as I so often do with these kind of tunes.

Anyway, forgive me, Father Angus:

11. luurtie
    luurtie
    Very Nice playing as always David. Although I like it and know how a bluegrass version of this song sounds David, it's maybe a bit too bluegrassy for this type of tune... I see you're playing a Kentucky KM950 in your latest posts. How do you like that mandolin in comparison with your others, I always wanted to play one before I bought my Clark. It has a very deep tone as far as I can hear.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hey Hendrik - hmm, actually I was just thinking I should have played it a bit faster (and been less heavy-handed with my picking). It's actually a second hand KM900 I bought on the classifieds. It's a very nice mandolin, good strong lows, but nice and clear too, I really like it.
  13. luurtie
    luurtie
    It looks like the fingerboard is scooped like the KM950, congratulations with you new mandolin. Sinds last week I have new "The Loar LM500" since I love my Loar LM220. It's a bit brighter than the cheap LM220 but it's new and it has to open up more I guess. However, we can't have too much mandolins
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    We certainly can't! Yes, I guess the previous owner had the florida scooped, which is as well for me or I'd be hitting it every time. I wouldn't count on a mandolin opening up, but sometimes a really good set up and perhaps a new and carefully fitted bridge can do wonders for these little guys.
  15. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    David, I am digging the embellishments to this tune. I have been noodling around with it since Friday myself and cannot help but hear some of the same notes. Oddly enough, I found myself chunking away mid-melody just wandering 'WWMD' right here? 'WWMD' being 'What Would Monroe Do'? Its an old habit I may never fully overcome. In my early stages of Bach music, however, Monroe never comes into play!
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    James, I like the addition of the piano accompaniment on your version, and OS, yours really cracks along there with the different tempo and feel you give it.

I have stuck to a slower pace and paired mine with The Braes of Dunvegan, the score for which I got from our own Nigel Gatherer, that distributor of great tunes and selections - thanks Nigel!

The two instruments in the clip are my octave and my cherry/spruce mandolin.

17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice - great sound with the two instruments together John.
  18. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Your new mandolin is a beauty John.
    Your instruments all have their own voice.
    But, you put them together and they're like
    brothers and sisters singing wonderful harmonies.
    Gary
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What great videos from everyone so far. I learned this along with David's excellent version. It's fun to hear how both David's take this tune at very different tempos and how both deliver the same drive and energy.
    I also have to second what's been said about the blend of John's instruments. The octave sounds amazing, and just gets better when the mandolin joins in.
    James, I loved your piano accompaniment in the Christmas song you did here, and this one is great too--so great in fact, it inspired me to inspire Jeff to put the banjo down for a week. Here's what we came up with.
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Cracking delivery there, M and J! You get a great lift to the tune and a good Scottish West Coast feel to your playing. if you are over in Scotland Jeff you'd be welcome in a lot of our dance bands. Maybe your next collaboration with Michael will include a few Scottish tunes - always remembering that nearly all the tunes over there that you folks play were originally Scottish or Irish anyway!
  21. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really enjoying everyone's versions this week. Second David's version with all the extra bits that he effortlessly throws in. Particularly liked John's second tune which came for free. My favourite though is M and J. John's right about Jeff's piano accompaniment, it's spot on. It's an inspiration for me to spend more time on my own sadly neglected piano playing. Now do they have a piano cafe?
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Wow, everyone is doing such fine work on this one! Jeff's backup on piano was a real highlight for me, as well as Marcy's beautiful mandolin playing. David and David do equally well on this tune and approach it from different directions. I love the contrast between their two different styles. John, the instruments you build are just so beautiful and sound so good. And I like your idea of playing a few Scottish tunes on our next collaboration. (Especially if we can get Jeff to do that great piano backup!)
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is a link to the pdf file of Both tunes, memories of Father Angus and The Braes of Dunvegan. I got the tunes from Nigel Gatherer's site, http://www.nigelgatherer.com

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...8&d=1393412959
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks John, those songs go well together. It'll be fun to learn the set.
    I passed the compliments from you all on to Jeff, and he was really happy to hear them. It's a great idea to try this style in some recordings. I've always liked it a lot.
  25. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well its been a fair while since i put up a vid, so here's my effort + all the usual excuses!
    I enjoyed the versions above - marcy and Jeff what cool version especially
  26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey, Jonny. Good to see you back. That's a fun idea to go up at the end of the A part. I like it. Nice hammer ons too.
  27. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I have been really enjoying everyone's posts this week, from the traditional with David and John to the BG version by OS. OS, I'm sure Father Angus would forgive you, I certainly liked it. James and Jeff, you two really got those pianos going and they sounded great - very talented - reminded me of some French Canadian and Cape Breton tunes. John - thanks for posting the pdfs, at some point I'll have to work on them.
  28. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very good Johnny-nice ornamentation there. Loved the piano backing to Marcelyn's version - is there no limit to Jeff's musical talents?
    I found this a pretty hard rhythm to master.
  29. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    i liked this tune a lot and enjoyed every ones versions very much.
    here is mine pretty straight forward.
  30. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This lovely tune presses all my buttons, but I just haven't had a chance to play it because the rest of life keeps getting in the way! There are so many great versions here, but the one that stands out for me is the one from Marcelyn and Jeff. I reckon now that one could give you guys any two instruments (or none at all), and you'd produce some beautiful music.

John, it's interesting what you say about the "Scottish West Coast feel". I suspect it may be one of those things that are better felt than described, but do have a go if you can. When I eventually get to learn this tune, I'd like to aim for that.
  31. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Glesenbury,
    I feel the same way about the rest of my life.....I actually got to recording this one this week but the first time around the dog started barking half way through the second B part. Next time the baby started crying and by the third take, my computer ran out of battery and the track was not saved. Maybe tomorrow? Great versions all around. Not sure if I have seen a piano used in the SAW group before this week! Good stuff!
  32. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Still couldn't avoid some ambient baby noise but that's ok!
  33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Babies are allowed to make that sort of noise. It's not a problem.

Very nice, relaxed, clean picking. That's what I want to sound like when I'm older. And that's a lovely room you have there.
  34. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    There's a lot of great variety this week.
    Maudlin's example has really clean picking, and Obiwan's lively version is the one that most puts me in the mood for dancing.
    Your ornamentation is really outstanding, Aaron. To me, it sounds very authentic for this style.
    Gelsenbury, here's a link with a brief explanation of the style you were curious about...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_fiddling
    There are some fiddlers mentioned in the article who will help you get a handle on the feel you want for the tune. The closely related Cape Breton and New England contra dance fiddling styles are the ones I'm most familiar with, so I'm looking forward to listening to the fiddlers in the article too.
  35. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really enjoyed everyone's efforts. For me the Scottish feel comes with the dotted rhythm bouncy feel evident in the versions on offer here this week.

Here is a really interesting article on Scottish fiddling styles
    Arguably more information than you will ever need (or want!) but I found it fascinating. Not sure I would be able to spot all the regional differences though.
  36. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for that link. James!
  37. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I decided to go back a couple of weeks, take a fine melody and have it processed at the Sasquatch Butcher Shop. I really had trouble getting the mood of this tune. I am trying. You all sounded great BTW!!
  38. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good effort there, S! Some of your ornamentation takes the tune into Irish territory, I'd say. Nice job.
  39. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You've got great runs in there, Tim. It sounds like you'll be branching into other styles pretty quick.
  40. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Better late than never (tm).

41. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dennis, we used to talk a lot here about the Serious Face Disease affecting so many players - now I know why: you took all the antibodies and left none for us! Pure entertainment. Plus, I think you got an SMS at 2:07, perfectly in tune...
  42. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, G! The SFD is one of the reasons many of us leave our faces out of the video, Bertram - though in my case it's so that I do not scare people of a nervous disposition and small dogs.
  43. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Running a bit late with this one -- here is my recording. Like John, I've also based my version on Nigel Gatherer's set of Father Angus with The Braes Of Dunvegan. The two tunes go well together.

I've been getting a bit tired of tenor guitar rhythm, so on this one I've had the tenor guitar play the lead, initially solo and then joined in unison on the A-jr. Rhythm on OM and mandocello.

Ozark tenor guitar
    Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

[MP3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117449&d=1396211132[/MP3]

Martin
  44. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There is a determined stride to it Martin - makes me want to march along.
  45. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version, Martin, and lovely pictures. Remember not to stop - Bertram is right behind you, marching!
  46. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    "Music faces" are interesting ... it's probably not the worst idea to "practise a tune until you can play it smiling".

At my level of playing, this tune represents a good opportunity for hammer-on and tremolo practice, which I took gladly. And I thought that the tune wants C# even thought the notation says B ... it's folk music after all.