Going Home

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    We heard this song by Mary Fahl on the title of the movie "Gods and Generals", and Regina wanted to sing it. I chose to not stick with the civil war theme but rather take the opportunity to show off one of my favourite roads - the B8083 leading from Broadford to Elgol in the Isle of Skye. Almost heaven.

The chords are...
    verse:
    2200, 1220, 2200, 2002,
    2200, 4400, 2002, 1220,
    2002, 2200, 4400, 2002,
    2200, 1220, 2200-------

chorus:
    4400, 2002, 1220, 2200,
    6600, 2002, 1220-------
    0023, 4400, 1220, 2200,
    4400, 2002, 1220-------
    2200, 2002, 2200, 4400,
    2200, 1220, 2200--------

Audio mp3 is here.
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Beautifully played and sung! And the landscape in the photos is sublime too. It's surely a good thing to create pacifist versions of war songs.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's absolutely captivating! Regina's singing and your instrumentation blend with such a lot of power and emotion. The way she sings it just grabs your attention and won't let go till the very last note. I'm really hoping for an encore performance.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Beautiful song, beautiful arrangement, beautiful delivery and of course, beautiful scenery. You really are a Scot at heart, Bertram!
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow, this is is beautiful! What a nice singer is Regina. Good arrangement and well played. I love tunes in this style
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all for the kind words.

I can recommend taking a drive along that particular road, and you can do it virtually (more time to look at the scenery, less distraction by negotiating passing places with other motorists) - just click here and follow the road the camera is pointing to (keep right at the fork short before Torrin, or else you'll get lost), and you'll see where all those photos came from (but I have been there personally, too).
  7. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Brava Regina.
    You two need to record together more often.
    Your video's are always a delight to hear and see.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Regina and Bertram. Next time try the A851, a very nice road as well.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Gary and David.
    I've been down the A851 as well, you have to drive a while before it gets scenic, down by Armadale, but at least you can drive fast.
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Wow, that was fantastic. Great voice, wonderful arrangement. Absolutely loved the harmonica. Well done.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Bob. Regina says the harmonica was the easiest part of all.
  12. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    When I saw the title I expected some really heavy axe-wielding in the Alvin Lee style on Ten Years After's signature song. But this is just as good in its own way.
    The film seems to have passed me by - is it a recent release?
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The Ten Years After association never stuck with me, since I never listened to that band.

The film is not recent. It is one of a pair describing the civil war in an almost documentary fashion (but without the boredom that often comes with documentaries). The other is Gettysburg. They are unique in exploring the reasons that led to the war, the way people were thinking at the time (and not only at the time).