Week #250 ~ Wild Bill Jones

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner by a landslide is Wild Bill Jones, which was submitted as an Old Time tune. I'm not familiar with it...

I'm not sure if this is the tune the submitter had in mind, but I found this notation and lyrics on Traditional Old Time Music.

I found this on You Tube:

Here's a link to another video.

This says it's Wild Bill Jones on abcnotation.com

If anyone has anymore links, please add them!
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's some really cool versions:

3. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is a clip by a Group called Leftover Salmon
    Has a some unique mando work on it.
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Looks like I get to kick things off this week. I've liked this one for a while from a recording by the Highwoods String Band. It's a lot of fun. Here's what Jeff and I came up with on it today.

5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I think you may have both started and finished the discussion there. Let's see which one will be my second favourite version.
  6. TwoByFour
    TwoByFour
    Marcelyn, you folks are fantastic! Very high energy.

I took a look at the second version that Barbara posted, the one in 3/4 time, and it felt like it might work as a slow piece. So here's my attempt, banged out this morning on guitar and mandolin. I tried to write an accompaniment for a second mandolin; mixed success, I think. The scenery is all places I've lived (mostly Colorado and California, may have sneaked a North Carolina pic in there on accident).

7. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    2X4. You have this tune working fine in 3/4. I liked it.
    Marcelyn. You and Jeff had me lookin' for my boots so
    I could do some proper toe tappin'.
    Gary
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks y'all.
    That's a very pretty arrangement, Twobyfour. It reminds me of the versions Barbara and Michael posted from Doc Bogs and Virgil Anderson, and it does sound nice in waltz time. I hadn't heard it done this way before this week, but am thinking I'd like to learn that modal version too.
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn.... that was great... but I have to ask.... is that a stuffed dog between ya'll, or is he deaf? I don't see how even a DOG could sleep through that, especially at such close range to a banjo!!!
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, Barbara. Rosie wanders into most of these videos sometime around the third take and in spite of Jeff's banjo, she usually looks fast asleep by the tenth. She's not deaf...yet.
  11. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Great job Marcelyn you guys did a great job as always love the banjo to.
    Twobyfour I like the slow tempo gives the song a whole difrent feel

Here is my little freestyle break for this song
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work Obiwan, and of course Marcy and Jeff doing a wonderful job with the full song. 2x4's slow waltz version sounds very cool, too. I just did an extended version of the break here, you'll have to imagine how awesome it would have sounded with my super high-pitched yodeling vocal

13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's really cool what you two do with the melody Obiwan and OS. Your breaks certainly take it to a whole new level.
  14. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Marcelyn, once again you have gave us the 'WOW' factor in the Old Tyme Sound. Keep them coming!!
    2x4- your version is very different but very good! I like it!
    Obiwan- Great stuff!
    David- what can I say other than YOU NAILED IT!!
    I am still trying to learn some recording stuff but time has not been my friend this week. I will get it eventually. Anyway I also decided to be brave and introduce some flat-top picking with this weeks offering. I have been trying to play my guitar more lately so I wanted to try it out on this weeks tune. My WBJ version is not without its flaws this week but will have to do.
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, nice guitar work and mandolin picking too! The sound always sounds a bit squashy on the recordings you do from home, as if they're over-compressed or something - maybe that's just what your web cam does? Anyway, your playings sounds great, I'm sure you'll figure out the recording thing, I'd sure love to hear you better!
  16. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    David, thanks for the compliments. First off, I need to buy a decent mic. Second, I am going to force myself to set down & take the time to learn the nuances of recording. I seem to get started and then I am pulled off in another direction. Maybe I need to take a vacation day (or two!! ) Free from the wife, kids, cat, rabbitry, etc.
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I really like the sound of flatpicking with your mandolin, Tim. Webcams don't have the best audio, but I can definitely gauge how good you must sound in person, and I get a lot of great ideas from your clips. The sound quality on your phone recordings from work is pretty good actually, so you could try using that until you get a good mic if you wanted to. I don't stress too much about quality microphones for the weekly recordings. The Zoom camera picks things up well enough for me to see what to work on. It really just depends on what the recordings are intended for. Hope you keep sharing while you're figuring it all out.
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Marcy & Jeff: That's a great old time version of Wild Bill Jones. Great picking and singing.

Good solid picking by TwoByFour as well as Obiwan. Thanks!

A wild bluesy instrumental version from Old Sausage. Well done David.

And a really great job from Sasquatch as well.

Here's my arrangement for 5 string banjo, guitar, mandolin and vocal. I played the instruments first and then overdubbed the vocal.

19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I really like those lyrics, Michael. I tried looking up who sings it that way, but couldn't come up with anything. You always find the coolest versions of these songs. That's so well done all around.
  20. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Marcy, most of the lyrics come from an old timer named Frank Proffitt. I just liked how he filled out the story and even added the ghost of Wild Bill Jones at the end. I only changed a few lines so that I could get them to roll off my tongue a little easier.
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Greatjob, Michael, I enjoyed those lyrics too and hadn't heard them before.