If I Were A Rich Man (from "Fiddler On The Roof")

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    A fairly straightforward recording on my Ceccherini bowlback, with tenor guitar backing based on a leadsheet downloaded a while ago from the now-defunct Wikifonia website. I think this tune suits the mandolin pretty well.

[MP3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113754&d=1391559138[/MP3]

Martin
  2. jonny250
    jonny250
    well done Martin, nicely played; i love the FOTR film and soundtrack - i might have to try this one...defo suits that mandolin
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Johnny.

As the Wikifonia site is no longer active, I've uploaded the lead sheet here for those who want to try -- it's pretty straightforward.

Martin
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As promised, to follow up the recent Sunrise Sunset, here's a new version of another song from Fiddler On The Roof. A bit more lively than my 2014 recording. Same lead sheet as posted above. Fun to play on mandolin.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well done, Martin! I like both of these versions equally. The advantage of the new recording is that we can see you play and learn from what you do.

I don't think I've ever seen "Fiddler on the Roof" all the way through. My enduring memory is of watching a clip at school where people danced in the street singing about tradition. That probably wouldn't lend itself equally well to mandolin.
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I got the vocal score a couple years ago, I love playing show tunes like this. Especially like the second version you made Martin! The pause, and also the slowed tempo in ending is more reminiscent of Topol's version from the motion picture, which I can never get enough of. Thanks for sharing!
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your new version is great, Martin.

It reminds me of the singing of Rudolf Asmus of the Komische Oper in Berlin, who also performed this song in TV shows back in the ‘70s.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis/Mark/Frithjof.

I agree with Mark that the tune benefits from some rubato -- I could do that in my new version, but the old one from seven years ago was recorded with a click track, so had to be strict tempo.

Looking at other Youtube version, I came to the startling realisation that Bryn Terfel looks exactly like Ed Balls... (a reference that will mean nothing to those outside the UK).

Martin