Week #249 ~ The Eighth of January

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    David, this a wonderful rendition! That octave sounds great and so does the playing.
  3. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Ah, so that's where Johnny Reb Horton got the tune for The Battle of New Orleans.
  4. luurtie
    luurtie
    Nice version David, that's a big sounding instrument. Nice other instruments too, did you use the bow on your Double bass?
    here's my attempt

5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That bowed bass gives the tunes such a cool sound, David. And the licks you threw in there are really nice Hendrik. I'm thinking there'll be a lot of fun ones this week. Here's a solo run through from me.

6. luurtie
    luurtie
    That was very nice Marcelyn, did you notice the resemblance between your Girouard and my Clark mandolin? I even think they sound about the same. My wegen m150 pick give's it a sharper sound, maybe a bit too sharp.
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Hendrik. I think they do sound pretty similar, now that you mention it.
  8. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Davd that octave mando sounds great and clean. the concertina was a nice touch.
    Luurtie great job I love the up beat feel really enjoyed listening.
    Marcelyn your playing on the girouard helped me decide to go with the girouard my self, and you've done it again with this video nice rendition

Here is my go I learned it off banjo ben a wile ago, so it's basically a broke down version of his.
  9. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Everyone is sounding great on this tune!! Kudos to all!!
    I decided to try playing with tracks. It doesn't sound the best but it will do for a first attempt. I have much to learn on the recording process.
  10. luurtie
    luurtie
    I can hear you used banjoben's lesson. It's helping you al lot, this sounds very nice Obiwan!
    Timothy, you have a magnificent version. So different than mine, but I love bluegrass. I realise it will never be bluegrass when I play it my own way. I try learn to play it in a bluegrass way with your track.
    I'm also very glad you started multitracking and you got it good synchronised. But when you get a cheap condensermicrophone with a simple usb microphoneinterface the soundquality will sound proffesional too. Multitracksoftware is available for free (Audacity). I guess you overdubbed it with an audiotrack through your speakers? I started that way too.
  11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Whoa, Obiwan, love that high part! It's so cool, I had to go check out Ben's lesson myself.
    Hey Tim, I think that's the way I'd like to get mine sometime--a lot of extras, but sticking right to the traditional melody. It sounds fantastic, and nice guitar picking too.
  12. SMH
    SMH
    OK - For just the second time a SAW in the week it is actually the SAW. Saw this one coming by Wednesday and got a jump on it.

Sean
  13. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Sasquatch great job love the blue grass sound.
    Smh love the pace sounds very nice, timing is perfect
  14. SMH
    SMH
    Thanks Obiwan. Just started working on it Wednesday and hope to work is up to a quicker more complex version like yours. Noticed you live in Worcester - I live in Bolton at the very eastern edge of Worcester County.

Cheers

Sean
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    More cracking versions here, folks. Loved the bowed bass, David, and the other different interpretations from the solo instrument to the multi-tracked offerings. Mine is on mandolin and tenor guitar, 4 tracks with one each for melody on the two instruments and the other 2 for rhythm, one on mando and one on tenor.

[mp3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113656&d=1391379061[/mp3]
  16. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Another set of great versions! As stated earlier, David, that Sobell octave is awesome and the bowed bass and concertina fit perfectly. Luurtie, I always love the variations you play so effortlessly and your interpretation of bluegrass is fine. I doubt the bluegrass police will get you unless they are die-hard monroevians. Marcy, very cleanly played and great sounding mandolin. Obiwan and Tim, great chromatic and slidey versions. I need to work my way up to that. Sean, great pickin! John, the mix of instruments and the variations were great and I loved the chordal progressions at the end.

So, here's my go on mandolin, tenor banjo, and guitar.

Ha, looks like when Youtube processed the video, the video and audio unsynced a bit...
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great work everyone. I love the groove you got into yours, Woodenfingers.

I wanted to have another try at this in D this time, so here it is:

18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine work, WF and OS!
  19. 9lbShellhamer
    9lbShellhamer
    You all sound great as usual! Really enjoyed listening to the ways you spiced up the tune with your slides and embellishments.

This is my first tune back after a hiatus in January to focus on form and technique a little more rather than learning new songs...(and bettering my playing on the ones I already do know...) I really enjoy learning from this group and listening to you all! I missed it.

Watching this video, I obviously still need to work on where my pick falls, as it is too close to the bridge...in time, in time...

Anyways, here is my short little take, with a backing track off The 4 Hour Bluegrass Workout by Steve Kaufman...

Once again, great job everyone... really enjoy listening to you all. It's beyond apparent you all spend a lot of time arranging and preparing your songs. Until I reach that point, please pardon my hack job and general presence here. I know it doesn't appear so, but I'm actually trying really hard! hahaha...I'll get there someday.

20. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    9lb, good effort, good tone. Can't see your picking hand clearly. There may be a problem with your pick direction on some notes.

And the rest of you: The Davids, nobody expects less than great - of course totally different -versions from you.
    OS, super fluid playing.
    Of all the other great versions I particularly like Sasquatch's bluegrassy and Marcy's Old-Timey playing.
    WF, no wooden fingers either, sounds pretty smooth.
    Now back to practice. Want to post something reasonable, too.
  21. 9lbShellhamer
    9lbShellhamer
    Thanks for the pointer Manfred- appreciated. I bet you're right. I haven't done much practice on direction lately.

Looking forward to your addition.
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I think you're doing really well 9lb, nice clear sound. The only place I can see you getting pick direction wrong is where you have two quarter notes following each other. When you're doing eighth notes it's fine, but you keep doing 'down up' when the notes are half as long, and it should be 'down down', so as if you're always playing eighth notes (just not sounding them), even when you're not. Hey - maybe that's why they call it the Eighth of January!
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    As the others say, 9lb, you are playing well and have a good tone.
    OS, that pun on eighths is quite excruciating, but I really like it!
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Kind of a half-baked pun on eighths. but good one, David.
    As for pick strokes, Troy. Sometimes remembering to let the rhythm drive the tune by putting a little more emphasis on your downstrokes is an easy way to get into the pattern as opposed to thinking about pick direction for each note. Most of the time, it's pretty straightforward.
  25. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great picking by everyone again this week. My version is another crosspicking arrangement by Mickey Cochran.
    9lb you wouldn't have to worry about pick direction if you played this one as every note has up or down marked for you.
    Having said which, Cochran perversely abandons the duu pattern from his preparatory
    study to replace it with dudu in the actual tune. I went back to duu.
  26. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    The late Mickey Cochran would be pleased, Maudlin.
    Here is my attempt. Finally. I fiddled around with a nice harmony part, but was only able to record it for the B part once.

27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's beautifully clean picking there, Manfred! You make it look effortless.

Seeing other players turn into role models for technique, attitude and ornamentation is what I like so much about this video exchange. Thanks to Barbara for maintaining the group, and to everyone for contributing.
  28. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    You seem to be playing faster than you used to, Manfred, but just as precise. Enjoyed the harmony-shame you could not do more of it.
  29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job there, Manfred!
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I really do like that harmony Manfred. Those bluesy licks sound great too. What a great arrangement.
  31. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Manfred, that was just too cool!!
  32. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for your kind words, guys.
    Maudlin, I practice my *** off to get a little more tempo while picking cleanly. Yes, it's a shame I didn't get the A part harmony done. But it was all a barrage of eighths notes and I just could not get it up to speed and play it in sync error-free. So I gave up because I wanted to post at least on Thursday.
    Marcy, the arrangement is mostly not mine. While I don't suffer from MAS (yet?), I confess to having TBAS (tune book acquisition syndrome). That's why I have several versions of this tune, which I combined for my recording.
  33. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Manfred - really groovin out there!! Well done.
  34. Fishguy
    Fishguy
    After a few months watching this group, I finally sat down and recorded a tune. Here goes nothing...

35. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Fishguy, this is a great first post here. Very clean picking, grooving, multi-tracking - everything.
  36. davidtoc
    davidtoc
    Really great playing, everyone!

Until listening to so many people play it and start to work out a version for myself, I hadn't realized this was one of those songs (along with Amazing Grace, Angeline the Baker, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, and others) played entirely with the major pentatonic scale.