Week #247 ~ Paddy on the Turnpike

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's runaway winner is Paddy on the Turnpike, which was suggested as a Monroe Tune. And, what do you know... I can't believe some of you who keep better tabs than I, didn't realize it's already BEEN the tune of the week! Submitted as a Bluegrass tune, though...

So, here's a link to that other time... week #27! It seems that in that discussion, we had Monroe-inspired submissions, and NON-Monroe submissions!

Here's the link to notation and abc on thesession.org

Here's another on abcnotation.com from John Chambers' collection.
  2. luurtie
    luurtie
    Nice tune, I liked the David Mold version a lot as you can hear I practised a lot on his Bluesy G-lick..

3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Excellent, luurtie. So fluid. Was this your entry for the speed demon contest here?
  4. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hot pickin there Luurtie !!
  5. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    The best I could sink , def not a movie editor. I was pretty happy this song this week. Big fan of Monroe.
    Girouard mando , my guitar and my camping banjo. Great job luurtie! The other videos on the other thread where wonderful to.

6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice job, Hendrik and Obiwan. Sounds great.
    Talk about good timeing. I guess most of you caught this week's jam from Mike Marshall and Tony Trischka, but if not, don't miss it.
  7. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice submissions so far! Mine is more of an old timey take on the tune. I borrowed the melody from the fiddle and I've added a few measure here and there as the fancy hit me. Certainly okay in old timey music and it keeps the guitar player on his toes...

9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I'm having a great time watching all these this week, kudos to all, these are great!
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    So after nearly five years, time to have another go. This time I DID get all Bill Monroe:

11. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Mighty fine pickin' David! Sounds great!
    I'd like to do this one on my new Jacobson, not sure it's going to happen.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Kris - what's stopping you?
  13. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Well, I haven't started on it yet and I'm not sure I can get it up to snuff in time. Of course I can't say that for sure because I didn't try it yet! Have to get my act together and get working on it.
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well I'd sure like to see you play something on it
  15. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Michael, the OT variety offered is absolutely a prime cut!!
    David, you nailed the Monroe sound on this tune. It amazes me how you can hop genres so well. I typically play a Monroe style on songs, especially ones of this nature. I had difficulty getting that feel on this tune for whatever reason. I guess my take was of the hybrid variety.
    Obiwan- the Force was with you my friend!
    Hendrick- solid as a rock as usual!!
  16. laura809
    laura809
    Here is what I have so far. There are some very entertaining versions on this thread, and many impressive tempos as well. That Mike Marshall and Tony Trischka version was insanely good.
  17. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Michael, I really loved that Old Timey version.
    David, you sounded great on the Eastman then, but your Silverangel and your newly acquired skills (MM?) make this version stand out.
    Speed demons Obiwan and Sasquatch are very hard acts to follow. You guys motivated me to push myself almost too far (and still sound like slow motion)
    Laura, very nice playing on multiple instruments.
    Here is what I have after a zillion of takes:

18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done David -- Monroe with a side of sausage. There's nothing better.
    Laura, that's the real stuff. Hey, is my memory wrong or did you have your fingerboard extension scooped on your Gibson?
    That's what it takes to get to speed demon status -- zillions of takes. And then, more zillions a bit faster. Great job Manfred.
  19. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great stuff Manfred you'll sound like Monroe soon. Usually I dread these Monroe tunes as they are fast and difficult but this one turned out to be a fairly straightforward reel so here it is on mandocello again. Gary-this is a Voss archtop guitar which I converted.
  20. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    I like that maudlin.
    You've got me looking at my dreadnought.
    And it's looking back with dread.
    Gary
  21. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I'm late to the game on this one. I have very limited Monroevian knowledge. I downloaded the notation from thesession.org and it didn't sound anything like what you BG boys and gals are playing. I have no idea how Monroe derived his version from the original celtic tune as there doesn't seem to be any of the original tune left. Since I enjoyed all the versions posted above I decided it was time to take the Monroe plunge. I recorded and slowed down Don Greiser's version to a snail's pace to get the basic tune down and then just let it rip. I can never seem to play it the same way twice so you get warts and all. Also finally figured out how to swap out audio and video so these are recorded separately and then combined so now you can actually watch me make mistakes. Sure was fun...

22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounds great - well done!