Week #246 ~ The White Petticoat

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sorry for the delay in posting! This week's winner, by one vote, is The White Petticoat, which was submitted as a jig. I'm not familiar with this tune.

Here is a link to six settings for this tune on thesession.org

Here are some videos:

2. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    i love the fella's playing in the first vid, i watch him on youtube quite a lot, great player, so relaxed. lovely tune, very east european sounding to me
  3. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I'm with you Lawrence on tergal14's playing (bloke in the first video). With due respect to everyone who posts on this site this bloke has to be the best mandolin player regularly posting videos on youtube in the celtic genre. He makes it look easy. I didn't find this one easy at all. Part of the problem is that is is almost totally made up of 1/8th notes with no 1/4 notes to break it up. It's easy to lose the jig rhythm and end up with just a series of ascending and descending note runs.
    It sounds to me like this tune has come from the dark heart of Eastern Europe so I've added some modal bouzouki drones which also helps keep the rhythm going when my fingers get in a twist on the mandolin.

4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    beautiful James, i envy your relaxed playing mate. it really is a lovely tune this.
  5. laura809
    laura809
    That sounded great James. I like the accompaniment. Maybe I will pull out my OM for this one.
  6. warh0rn
    warh0rn
    How do you do the double video?
  7. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Thanks folks. Not sure about relaxed playing - just happy to get through with a minimum number of slips. I'm not someone who aims for perfection - just get it out there, post early and no regrets!
    Mel - I have a mac which comes with Imovie which has a picture in picture facility which is very easy to use. I record the audio into garageband so you have to line up the video with the audio, otherwise fairly straightforward. if you spend more time messing about on the computer than playing the mandolin then there's a problem!
  8. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    It's on the Solas album (entitled Solas) as the first of a three part medley.
  9. warh0rn
    warh0rn
    James I just bought a mac laptop to record things with.. and I don't know how to use it… I do spend more time trying to figure out how to get things done than I do playing… well things are getting better with the recording process now that protools is no longer a complete mystery but I'm still ignorant on videos. I will check some tutorials on iMovies and see if I can't make a dual video like yours for this weeks song… since I can't think of anything creative to do with this piece. Thanks. -Mel
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    What a cool tune! My playing was decidedly not very jiggy so I went elsewhere for the backup.

11. Larry Ayers
    Larry Ayers
    Bev and I recorded the tune this morning; she played a Weyman tenor banjo and I played my 1920 Vega Cylinder-back mandolin, an instrument which was stolen in November and which I managed to get back last week. It showed up on E-bay!

12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great job on all these submissions! I am a sucker for jigs in E minor..... Here's mine. I'm playing it twice through, rather slowly (mistakes and all) on my Collings MT2O mandolin, on a FRESH string change (last night) with EXP 74's.

It's funny, one of the things I LIKE about this is all the eighth notes! I am a follower of the DUD DUD DUD DUD pick direction in jigs, and in my years of practicing it that way, I have a tendency to practice jigs with quarter and eighth notes, alternately, as all eighth notes, to really imprint the DUD DUD aspect of jigginess, and to make sure I've got the pick direction still DUD DUD when I play it with the quarters and eighth notes...

I really like the first video that is posted here.... of course, the FIRST thing I noticed was he's playing a mandolin just like mine!

I'm looking forward to many more submissions!

13. laura809
    laura809
    David, that was a very original backing track. There was some very interesting movement in the bass. Nice duet Larry and Bev. I'm glad that you were able to get your mandolin back Larry. Was it a long process? Did someone get held accountable? Great to see a post from you Barbara. You were the one who convinced me to force myself to learn DUD DUD picking when playing jigs. I ended up playing this tune once through on each of my mandolins, so your MT20 makes for a nice additional sound comparison.
  14. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    You all sound great! Laura, thats really cool showcasing your mandolins. Your Gibson F5 is gorgeous and sounds great. This tune seems really difficult due to the jig pattern needed to produce the proper feel. Tough for a Monroe guy to do but I am going to try!
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Laura, my vote goes to that old Gibson A. Can't beat an oval hole.
  16. laura809
    laura809
    The reason I have all three is that I don't have a clear favorite. I love them all! My old Gibson A has a very different sound from the other two, and is certainly the most resonant. The F5g and the Collings are much more comfortable to play, and closed position chords sound much better on them.
  17. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Laura, I would love to eventually add a F4 to my mandolin family. I think the old Teens & 20's Gibsons are just 'jewel-like'. I played a mid-teens Gibson F2 years ago and never forgot that unique sound. Not piercing like the 5's but wonderful just the same. The luthier that made my guitar and 2 mandos said he might be willing to make me one. We'll see!
  18. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    This is my go at it , this song was not easy for me and basically had to listen to all of you for the
    Melody and timing so thank you for Every one who posted. I love
    All the different versions and different instruments .
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Obiwan, and thanks for reminding me to include some tree pics in my next video - Dark Hedges maybe...
  20. Francis J
    Francis J
    Great versions everyone. Here's mine, usual configuration.
  21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Obiwan, that's stunning! The mood of the music is complemented very well by those pictures.
  22. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    haha thanks its been kinda gloomy around my neck of the woods as of late, weather speaking only. good timing for this song and the feel that i get out of it. I really enjoyed the up kicks in yours francis.
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I feel I should say something regarding the mood of this tune: I'll say there is no gloomy dance tune, that would be an oxymoron. Of course anything in a minor key can be played like a dirge, but the original intention is to shake off whatever bothers you, and in the act of shaking off it shows and is gone. It is a bit like throwing up - it does not look good, but you feel better afterwards

The Irish way of dealing with a bad mood: don't run away, face it, act friendly and step near enough to hack it to pieces. You should try Irish literature; I recommend reading Sean O'Faolains Bird Alone, it's like Catcher in the Rye, only longer and with a tragic ending; you'll feel gorgeous when you're done reading at last...
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here goes. After The Ladies' Pantalettes, this is the second of Victoria's secret tunes I have done, and they are all slightly crazy so far - tell me it's coincidence. E minor inevitably leads to G major, so I have cushioned the ending with Cook in the Kitchen, flubb in the second round included.

25. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Nice work Bertram
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Obiwan - here is somebody who did even better work:

27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Not the best video I've done, but I managed to learn the song-a-week within ... well, ten days. It's still a personal best by far. And maybe the imperfections in left-right co-ordination in the B part will improve in week 3!

28. Eddie Sheehy
    I used this tune for some mandolin/mandola comparisons... and a mandocello...

29. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dennis, those aren't imperfections in the B part, they are called "reverse hammer-ons"
    Eddie, did you tell us which were which in those comparisons?
  30. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very nice Eddie. The third one was clearly the mandocello and I chose to go with one as well.
    Can you give me any advice as to how to cut down on the noise of fingers on strings with this instrument?
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    The First Vid is the mandola one:
    Here's a comparison of strings I did. Played on three mandolas with different string-sets.
    First Mandola is a Weber Bitterroot 17" Scale Mandola with D'Addario FT76 flat-top strings.
    Second Mandola is a Gibson H1 16" Scale with Thomastik Infeld TI164 M (medium) strings.
    Third Mandola is an Eastman DGM3 16" Scale - Lyon & Healy-style 2 point with Thomastik TI174 M (medium) strings.
    They are all tuned CCGGDDAA
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    The second vid is the mandolin one:

Played on three mandolin swith different string-sets.
    First Mandolin is an Eastman 807D -2 point prototype with D'Addario FW74 flatwound strings.
    Second Mandolin is an Eastman DGM1- Giacomel-style F5 with Thomastik Infeld TI154 Stark (heavy) strings.
    Third Mandolin i san Eastman DGM2 - Bacon-style 2 point with Thomastik TI154 Mittel (medium) strings
  33. Eddie Sheehy
    To reduce finger/string noise just get the finger to the string gently and press firmly... hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides are all pretty loud...
  34. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Thanks Eddie- unfortunately I think it is easier said than done but I will take your advice and try to get a better sound on the next one.
  35. Eddie Sheehy
    Yes, it is easier said than done. Practice deveolpes the technique. I could do with a lot myself.
  36. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Maudlin. That's a monster. [and in a good way] I like it.
    Of course, practice would make us all sound better. But I've heard, if you move the recording mic to
    the backside of the treble f hole you will reduce string and pick noise.
    Tell us a little about that bad boy and play it again soon. Please.
    Gary
  37. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Cool tune with enjoyable versions from everyone. I was inspired hearing all the different mandolins and recorded this with my 3 mandolins.
  38. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Dusty. All three of your mandolins have there own voice and mojo.
    Very cool.
    Gary
  39. Killian King
    Killian King
    I just realized that I am really in the SAMOTL social group. Song a month or two later.

This is my new favorite tune. Thanks for making me aware of it.
  40. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    finally got around to learning this lovely jig

41. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Lawrence!
  42. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very Nice! I love that tune and you play it very well.
  43. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You can never have enough versions of this tune. You can never have enough mandolin videos from Lawrence. Classic case of ticking all the boxes.
  44. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very fine and delicate, Lawrence, just as the tune title suggests.
  45. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording and great sounding mandolin.