Two Sleepy People - and a Happy New Year!

1. WillFly
    WillFly
    "Two Sleepy People" is one of my favourite tunes, written in 1938 by Hoagy Carmichael, one of my favourite composers. It's a romantic song normally played in a romantic manner, and I wanted to do something a little different with it. So I decided to take out some of the arpeggiated feel of the chords as played on the piano and give it a little, light-as-a-feather feeling. I laid down a basic syncopated drum loop from Garageband and programmed in some bass broadly following the bottom line in the sheet music. I then added the lightest of guitar chords before finishing with what I hope is an understated version of the melody - played twice through on tenor guitar.

This is my first recording of 2014 - so a Happy New Year to you all!

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    "Here we are, out of cigarettes...." Can you imagine opening a song with a line like that nowadays, Will?
    Very relaxed and your interpretation just fits my ideas of this song/tune so well.
  3. WillFly
    WillFly
    The words to this tune are great - romantic without being sloppy, and as far removed from today's under-sophisticated lyrics as can be.