In Search of Cerddoriaeth - Where do you go to hear mandolin?

1. greenwdse
    greenwdse
    So where do the curious masses go to listen to mandolins? What clubs? What pubs? What groups? What get togethers?

In September, the family and I went to the Gower Bluegrass Festival. It's a good event in a good location at the Gower Heritage Centre. Not only was the music fab, but there was plenty of food, cider, jam sessions here and there, advice and local luthiers showcasing their stuff. There were also lessons held in St Pisgah's Church just a walk away. And there was enough children's events to keep the seven year old occupied.
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I'm not a bluegrasser, but for those of that persuasion there is always the North Wales Bluegrass Festival at Conwy. The Festival organisers are John Les and Gill Williams who also host a weekly bluegrass night at the White Lion Inn in Llanelian yn Rhos, just outside Colwyn Bay. I've heard it mentioned quite a bit but haven't been there myself.

For genres other than bluegrass and folk, the classical/Italian mandolin group I'm playing with every Thursday meets just over the border on the Wirral, but as we've recently had two new members joining us from North Wales we're gradually becoming more Welsh (and even have a handful of Welsh folk tunes in our repertoire). We're about ten players now -- new players always welcome, especially those who read music. Anybody interested in coming along, drop me a PM and I'll give directions.

Martin
  3. greenwdse
    greenwdse
    And just so y'all know. . .

Sarah Jarosz will be in St David's Hall in Cardiff on 29 July followed by the very grandiose and awesome (what do you mean you haven't heard them?) Bellowhead on the 26th of November this year.
  4. Playford1651
    Playford1651
    Bellowhead have a fun sound - thanks, as I hadn't previously encountered them.

The style of Sarah Jarosz (also new to me) reminds me of early Suzanne Vega.

Any and all flagging up of acts appearing in Wales that use mandolins are appreciated - please do keep the news coming!
  5. Porffor
    Porffor
    Hi, I'm new and from just outside Llanelli. There is an open mic night in Burry port on every other monday and weekly in Llanelli - an artist called Pappa G plays mandolin.
    Lots of different instruments crop up so everyone welcome no matter experience level etc. It's a great way to play with other people too as often jam's happen at the end of the night or other artists can be invited to join you etc. I've put a link to the blog in my signature (it's run by my husband).
  6. Porffor
    Porffor
    Hi, I'm new and from just outside Llanelli. There is an open mic night in Burry port on every other monday and weekly in Llanelli - an artist called Pappa G plays mandolin.
    Lots of different instruments crop up so everyone welcome no matter experience level etc. It's a great way to play with other people too as often jam's happen at the end of the night or other artists can be invited to join you etc. I've put a link to the blog in my signature (it's run by my husband).
  7. greenwdse
    greenwdse
    And there's an open mic folk evening in Ynysddu near Blackwood in a pub called The Black Prince. I haven't been so I can't tell you what it's like, but they do have a Facebook page.